Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast routing between VRF's

Multicast routing between VRF's

mael
New Contributor
Hi!

I wondering if it's possible to route incoming multicast from one VR to another VR in the same machine?

The reason is that I want to isolate a PIM domain for our IPTV customers from our core network. A simple solution would be to do a loop in the switch and push all traffic over that link, but that's cheating 😉

Would be thankful for some insight and maybe configuration samples.

With regards
Mattias
10 REPLIES 10

Julian_Eble
New Contributor II
Well I would like to have same thing with our network.
The main core runs with MPLS but the PIM are doing the same work in the same OSPF area..
I would like to create VR's and run the multicast separately.

Michael_Suggs1
New Contributor II
Not trying to high jack this post, but have a similar issue. i have a 460 with pim sparse to a external RP off my network. i pull 324 multicast via this sparse vlan. the rest of my network is currently dense, working as it is , i want to convert my entire network from dense to all sparse. which will cause me to have a different RP on my own network. could i use this same inter-VR solution to pass multicast from my current sparse VR to a new separate VR sparse ring? i was kind of thinking of using MSDP. thanks in advance,

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
Hey Mattias

I understand the business requirement but even unicast route leaking is a non-trivial task. Inter-vrf routing has always confused me. Take

My rule of thumb for multicast: the simplest solution that solves the problem is generally the right solution. PIM troubleshooting causes heartburn for many a network admin.

I am glad there's a workaround in this case - that always makes the conversation easier. And I'm always happy to see folks coming to the HUB community with these sorts of questions. It's a time saver and maybe saves you a call to support. And of course we welcome the discussion. Ultimately its customer requirements that decide direction - so we need to hear it.

I'm not saying its hip or elegant, but life is much easier with a five inch cat5 cable handling the tricky business.

Best regards,

Mike

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Mattias,

You can find more details about the information provided by Stephen in the article below:

Routing configuration between VRs
GTM-P2G8KFN