cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Multicast WLAN issues, chromecast and spotify

Multicast WLAN issues, chromecast and spotify

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III

I have connectivity issues with multicast when I try to use chromecast and spotify. I have enabled multicast replication and configured per guide:
https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000074801

Chromecast problem is with that cannot communicate it with android phone.
Spotify problem is that cannot control spotify at amplifier from laptop. Something to do with multicast.

My test setup is one 3805i AP and V2110 controler at other location. So traffic is bridged@AP. Version 09.21.02.0014. Traffic goes inside one AP. No problems if traffic goes between wired and wireless.

No problems if I use some bulk home AP. I have not filtered any traffic. All traffic should pass. Multicast bridging enabled with 0.0.0.0/0. Issue did exist also with couple older software releases.

Any clues where to check? This should be possible as this works with bulk no name AP, but not with identifi.

19 REPLIES 19

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
This now fixed. Problem was that I was using site. After deleting the site and assinging wlan services individually to APs chromecast started to work.

Using wireshark now I can see mDNS searched using ipv4 and ipv6 and also I see devices using ipv4 SSDP to search chromecast.

Thank you for the help. You know who you are!

Gtack article should be updated.

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
Little bit more tcpdumping. I used pineapple ap as a alternate AP. All works great with it. From wireshark I can see that only ipv4 is used and all connections work fine.Something with ipv6. I keep looking and post when I find something.

For reasons unknown to me even with new VNS and multicast allowed in topology Apple device tries mDNS (ipv6) to find the chromecast. When I use pineapple ap which do not support ipv6 all happens in ipv4 and apple device finds the chromecast. All ipv6 options are disabled and ipv6 is disabled at the router.

Or could the problem be more inside AP? I looked a into to a AP /flash/home/config/current.cfg. From there I found something interesting:

Under radio x vns 1 I found vlan configuration where traffic is forwarded.
cset vapDynamicEgressVlanList 0:2 40970 4
cset vapDefaultContainVlan 0:2 40970

and under topology settings. What ever I change in controller does not change anything in this settings.
# cset topology2Vlan key:vlanId tagged/untagged tunnel/bridge
cset topology2Vlan key 4 vlanId 40970 untagged bridge
cset topoMcastFilter key 4 add rule 1 allow 224.0.0.5/32 wirelessRep disable
cset topoMcastFilter key 4 add rule 2 allow 224.0.1.1/32 wirelessRep disable
cset topoMcastFilter key 4 add rule 3 allow 224.0.0.1/32 wirelessRep disable
cset topoMcastFilter key 4 add rule 4 allow 239.255.255.253/32 wirelessRep disable
cset topoMcastFilter key 4 add rule 5 deny 0.0.0.0/0 wirelessRep disable

Esa_Kuusisto
New Contributor III
Hi

I tried using your suggestion. No change. I tried using Win 7 laptop but no go. I have default permit as a default rule.

Direct connections work but these devices want to make automatic discovery to find each other and make things work. For some reason that discovery does not work and I have no idea what to next.

Bill_Handler
Contributor II
If you are interested in additional testing, below is what we discovered with a customer when was using ChromeCast and a default deny role. We were able to troubleshoot the problem and come up with the below filters which worked for us. Of course, your mileage may vary; we were working with laptops, not Android/iOS devices...

Chromecast - Ports to open for a Deny role80 TCP HTTP - AirPlay

443 TCP HTTPS - AirPlay

554 UDP/TCP RTSP - AirPlay

1900 UDP SSDP - Bonjour

3689 TCP DAAP - AirPlay

5000 TCP - Mirroring

5297 TCP - Bonjour

5298 TCP/UDP - Bonjour

5350 UDP NAT Port Mapping Protocol Bonjour

5351 UDP NAT Port Mapping Protocol Bonjour

49159 UDP MDNS (Windows) - AirPlay / Bonjour

49163 UDP MDNS (Windows) - AirPlay / Bonjour

tcp > port - 5000 (seen with music)

tcp > port - 7001 (seen with video)

tcp > port - 7000 (seen with picture/file)

tcp > port - 7100 (seen with display-mirroring)

udp > port - 7010 (seen with display-mirroring)

udp > port - 7011 (seen with display-mirroring)

tcp > port - 3689 (iTunes music sharing)

tcp > port - 49152-65535 (dynamic ports)

udp > port - 49152-65535 (dynamic ports)

tcp > port - 123 (so appletv can get time)

udp> port - 123 (so appletv can get time)

8008-8009 - TCP transmission between Chromecast and casting device

Thanks,

Bill

GTM-P2G8KFN