Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAC - NMS data rate requirements

NAC - NMS data rate requirements

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hello,

Is there a rule to calculate required datarate to successfully poll end-systems data, events etc. from NAC GW to NMS or do you have some example values measured?

I have an opportunity where NAC GWs are to be installed in remote locations with far less than 1 Mbps Internet connectivity (rather 100-200kbps) and the connectivity should not consume the link completely. There will be no more than tens of end-systems per one NAC GW.

One thing is, AFAIR, we can set poll interval to some bigger value, but what are the poll traffic boundaries we are functioning in?

Kind regards,
Tomasz

3 REPLIES 3

Frank_Thomas
Extreme Employee
Here is an example from our NMS in Salem to Ireland Nac Gateway
Sum of last 3 days.

5072c26feb2943ec8ec337177b82386c_RackMultipart20160729-104029-l84byi-nacgatewaytraffic_inline.png

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Now I see, I switched Mb and MB in my head, wrong!
And the order of 10, I shouldn't write when tired. I'm sorry.
60MB avg. with about 2 hours@64kbps.
That doesn't sound feasible. 😞

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hi,

What is the approximate number of employees in Ireland? I mean I would like to make an assumption for some prediction. About 600Mb a day is per 100 employees, so for 10 employees it might probably be about 6Mb average, so polling with reserved e.g. 64kbps should last not longer than 100 seconds in worst case.
Does it seem legit? I take an average and disregard that the throughput may vary between days and that the total data transfer per day is divided between many polls.

Regards,
Tomasz
GTM-P2G8KFN