cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understand what to do, my Core switch is spamming "Warning" recieved IGMPV1 query on Vlan ***?

Need help understand what to do, my Core switch is spamming "Warning" recieved IGMPV1 query on Vlan ***?

Arison_Mercado
New Contributor II
Hi my Core switch recently started to display IGMPv1 warning messages and I have no idea on how to troubleshoot it. What I did do was conduct a nslookup on each IP that was populating on the IGMPv1 warning and they were coming from other IDF stacks. When I logged in into each IDF stacks, I did not see similar warnings, anyone have any idea?
7 REPLIES 7

Christoph
Contributor
Devices in your network like to join a multicast conversation. They query for it.
Probably, your router recognizes these queries but can not handle it.

Except a different configuration, in default your switches don't care about multicast queries. Because it's a Layer-3 communication. So switches will not log these kind of messages.

Dorian_Perry
Extreme Employee
Hi Arison,

Is this the message your are receiving?

Warning: received IGMPv1 query on vlan *** configured for IGMPv2 from x.x.x.x

See Knowledge Article:
Warning: received IGMPv3 query on vlan vlanx configured for IGMPv2 from x.x.x.x logs

Although this article mentions IGMPv3 and v2, I believe it is the same behavior.

The article offers two options:

1. Enable [IGMPv1] on the VLAN.

Command: enable igmp vlan IGMPv1
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos_commands/EXOS_All/EXOS_Commands_All/r_enable-igmp.shtm...

or

2. Disable [IGMPv1] on the devices that are sending the packets.

I reviewed it but it doesn't explain on how to resolve these messages.
GTM-P2G8KFN