cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer version of code, reboot as master capable, asks for passphrase

Newer version of code, reboot as master capable, asks for passphrase

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
Hello, in this example I have x460-48p switches. I noticed that with code 16.2.2.4 patch 1-3 (was the recommended code @ extreme at the time to address the poodle vulnerability), that if we have a switch in a stack that's not the master, when I issue the command to reboot as master capable, it prompts for "Enter passphrase:" It doesn't ask for the normal login and password of the switch stack as it has in older say 15.x codes. The passphrase it asks for isn't any of the passwords we have setup on the switch.

Get a "disabling protocProcess exsshd pid died with signal" after putting in a "Passphrase" and the switch reboots. Happens on any switch that I've loaded 16.2.2.4 patch 1-3 on that I need to get into that isn't master capable.

Other than a conf none in the bootrom are there any more direct options to get into the switch? All I need is to boot up this switch to run a diagnostics so I can RMA it.

Thank you,

Sarah

8 REPLIES 8

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hi, all!

Is this issue happen in every (or most) cases? Or this is a rare case?
Becuase our Customers is planning to upgrade X440 and X460 stacks to 16.2.2.4 patch 1-3 which is recommended.

Thank you!

It happens on every460 gen 1 that we try to boot up as master capable. In most cases we are replacing failed POE devices. Will get used to making it a habit to go into bootrom and config none then boot it to get in. Or better yet running diag before we remove it from the stack when possible  Looks like they are now recommending a 16.2.3 based on Ash's update.

This has been successfully recreated in the lab every time it has been attempted. The recommendation to avoid this scenario is to upgrade to 16.2.3 for first gen switches.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Sarah,

Alternatively, you could disable stacking for that node while on the master and then reboot form the master. After the switch reboots you can console into it using the default username and password.
GTM-P2G8KFN