cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM 10Gbps Optics - Safe or not?

OEM 10Gbps Optics - Safe or not?

Doug_Jaquays
New Contributor
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using OEM 10Gbps SFP+ optics? I'm guessing that any link issues will be met with a, "You aren't using a supported optic" response by support. Other than that, has anyone actually had any issues with compatibility/reliability/longevity? If it matters, we have a mixture of x460s, x670s and soon adding some x460-G2s.

The Extreme Networks branded optics at >$1000. The same model number (Minus the -EX suffix), Finisar branded optics are $180.

It's hard to justify spending >$1000 for a single optic when you can buy the same thing for <$200.
7 REPLIES 7

andreas1
New Contributor II
We have been running OEM optics for the last 10 years. No problem at all with the Extreme gear. However as many mentioned please make sure you at least buy quality OEM optics.

Andreas

Caroline_Watson
New Contributor
Have a try the OEM 10G SFP+ transceiver, check whether it will work. If it works, then it is really a cost less method. If it not work, then EtherMAN's opinion is also good.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I agree with EtherMAN... check in with your sales team. If you're buying a large enough quantity of them, the discounts can be quite nice.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Doug, we have 1600 plus Extreme switches and have been a customer since 1998... You can find other solutions on the optics. i would make sure they are recognized by your switches and you can pull all the standard optical readings as you can the OEM sfp's. If they do not support DDMI and your have problems getting the sfp+ ports to see the right optics then i would not use them. Other route is to tally up a years worth of optics and see if your sales team can get close to matching third party pricing... Getting your business at a smaller margin is still better than not getting your business  .... Do be careful as not all optics are created equal for sure...
GTM-P2G8KFN