cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneView and Console, what's the deal?

OneView and Console, what's the deal?

DH1
New Contributor III
Fist off, I have been an avid user of Ridgeline for years, currently running 3.1 (4.0 was a dud) and don't want to give it up except the antiquated version of Java it requires is an issue.

So I have installed NetSight and am using OneView and Console but trying to figure out why you would have 2 products do basically the same thing?

Issues I am finding:

OneView maps work and discover the links between switches where Console will not discover the links in the Topology Manager. It shows the switch as up but no link is ever created. OneView limits the nodes to 100 per map which stinks also.

OneView has no option for telnet when right clicking on the switch where Console has this function. Will OneView ever get this option?

OneView populates the VLAN tab where Console does not. When clicking on the green arrow it never brings the VLAN information in.

Console shows all devices by IP, not host or device name that is configured on the device where OneView has this option.

I can keep going on but I think you get the idea. Are there any plans on consolidating the platforms into one fully functioning application or are they meant to be separate for different functions?

Just trying to wrap my head around this!

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

DH1
New Contributor III
Awesome!

Thank you.. I guess I missed that.

TylerMarcotte
Extreme Employee
Hi DH,

Under Tools -> Options there is a section for Data Display Format. The bottom of the dialog shows how to display the information. IP Address, System Name, or User Defined Name. See attached screenshot.

Tyler

DH1
New Contributor III
I have put in a feature request to have the telnet option when right clicking in OneView. We will just have to wait and see if they put it in there. One thing that would help me out if anyone knows is how to set the Console to show host names instead of the IP. None of my switches are in DNS so it would have to read the name of the device.

Thanks all for the replies!

TylerMarcotte
Extreme Employee
DH,

In short, a lot of the features that are available in Console are moving towards OneView. It's not a direct 1:1 mapping, however from what I've seen the most commonly used features, as well as newer features, are being added to the web interface. If you have specific features that you want to see in OneView that were available in Ridgeline, I'd highly recommend you work with your account team or GTAC to submit a feature request for them.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Tyler
GTM-P2G8KFN