Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneView Maps issue and Questions

OneView Maps issue and Questions

LeoP1
Contributor
Greetings Guys,

I have a long-term customer who loves the dying Topology Manager... But as it is phasing-out on the next versions of NetSight (using 6.3 now), I'm working on changing his mind and setting things up for the new reality: there will be no TM anymore soon.

One of the first complains is about "missing links" between switches (all SecureStacks). All links are discovered and all switches UP (green icon), but oddly, sometimes some links simply disappear (but the green icon still there) while on the TM it's all OK.

Simply refreshing the device on Maps (rediscover) it shows up the missing links again... The customer, a full-time user of TM is not happy with it... Should be a BUG? I've enabled verbose logging on OneView Maps to try to find what's going on... Anyone saw it before?

Other question is about the TM overlay features. The customer uses a lot the Overlay features of TM (specially the VLAN overlay to find out where the VLANs are configured). After upgrading to 6.3 the overlay features of TM doesn't work anymore (I've tested on the customer's upgraded NS and on my LAB, using a fresh install and the ShowLegacyApps trick with the same results).

Anyone faced this "issue" too?

As I couldn't find a similar feature on Maps, is it there? If not, will we have it in the future?

Best Regards,

-Leo
5 REPLIES 5

LeoP1
Contributor
Thanks Ron!

Curtis, I agree with you, but this customer always need a "special" attention... Any change, as minimal as it could be, needs a lot o work and time to make it work there... They are VERY resistant to any changes (for example, today they still complaining about missing reports they had when using the old-and-dead Siemens Wireless Manager, so think about how much effort will be needed to make them move to Maps... Better start now slowly, even with missing features, meanwhile we still have TM than later... ).

But there's the issue I reported, about "missing links" restored by a rediscover of the affected devices... Until now, no evidence on logs.

-Leo

I totally agree.

My strategy, as this is a "complicated" customer is slowly introducing them to Maps, to avoid a future "abrupt disruption" as TM fades away.

Curtis_Parish1
New Contributor III
Extreme will not tell us the roadmap as to when Topology Manager's easy of use and full functionality will be added to Maps. Any complaint your customer has about any of these issues will be valid. There are some major functionality pieces missing that to me make Maps useless. Introducing them to Maps is good but telling them they should be using it instead of TM will just make everyone's lives miserable. I think Extreme realzies this and is the reason they have not pulled the plug on TM.

Curtis_Parish1
New Contributor III
Don't try to change him until Oneview has all of the functionality of topology manager. It is a lesson in frustration.
GTM-P2G8KFN