cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opposite of "save configuration as-script"

Opposite of "save configuration as-script"

Jerry
New Contributor
I am looking to reconfigure MANY switches "remotely". I have approximately 180 switches, mostly Summit x series, spread across more than 100 remote sites, so doing this remotely would be "Extreme"ly beneficial. (Pun intended). I would like to start with a defaulted switch. I have a script that works great when I'm consoled into the switch, but when I'm telnet-ed into the switch I lose my connection when I "unconfigure switch all".

I tried editing the cfg file with an XML editor and saving with a different name, but that doesn't work either. When I "use configuration .cfg" and reboot, the switch boots with a defaulted config.

Is there a command that is the opposite of "save configuration as-script", such as "save script as configuration"? Then I could "use configuration .cfg" to utilize my new config.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Jerry
6 REPLIES 6

Jerry
New Contributor
Henrique, Andreas, and Drew,

Thank You! I just tested it on a switch at my desk and it does exactly what I needed it to do. I will be testing it on a production switch later this week or weekend.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Great! Glad we could help!

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Jerry,
When you
code:
use configuration
, make sure you aren't saving the config before rebooting. You're effectively overwriting the "saved" config with the current blank one.

Anytime you use
code:
unconfigure switch all
the switch will boot to a defaulted configuration and you won't have an IP on the VLAN to use.
You may also find it useful to name your config script (not the XML) "
code:
default.xsf
." This will execute anytime the switch is booted from a default configuration.

Henrique
Extreme Employee
Hi Jerry,

I believe you can accomplish that using the command below:

save configuration as-script default

That means a file name as "default.xsf" will be created and loaded every time you do an "unconfigure switch all"
GTM-P2G8KFN