Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSPF Design over MLAG

OSPF Design over MLAG

Sulaiman__Yelde
New Contributor II
Hi,
I'm putting up a design, and planning to use OSPF between Firewall (Edge) and Extreme X670 switches (Core).

I'm clear about the Firewall part (going to cluster the Firewalls).

have been looking for a Document on how to configure OSPF on two Extreme Switches in MLAG.

What is the best Practice to configure OSPF over MLAG Pair?
Is there a Document the explains how to do such configuration?

My plan is use the Internal Network downstream X670 as Area 0, and x670 upstream facing the Firewalls as area 10 (e.g).

Am going on the write track, or there's a better way to design such setup?

please let me know if you need more information form me?

Thanks again
Sulaiman
8 REPLIES 8

StephenW
Extreme Employee
Why do you plan on making a different OSPF area for your firewalls? Are you plan to summarizing routes to the firewall? Normal OSPF rules apply to MLAG when connecting to non-MLAG ports.

If you plan to cluster the Firewalls then you will probably need a vlan connecting them. You could use a broadcast OSPF vlan, and add the two MLAG peers and firewalls in them.

Hi,
my idea since the Firewalls are connecting branches to main office, i would make it in a separate area.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Sulaiman,

If you are looking to create an OSPF adjacency between two MLAG peers then you can treat the two MLAG switches like normal. MLAG is only affecting L2 traffic from MLAG clients lagged up to the peers.

Do both the x670 switches have a core license?

I didn't understand your question .. am not asking regarding this case I am asking in general, could routed port be configured on extreme switches?
GTM-P2G8KFN