cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ping -i6 is not working over different VLANs

ping -i6 is not working over different VLANs

Marco_Lorenz
New Contributor II
2 VLANs, both ipforwarding ipv4 and ipv6 enabled, but still no ping ipv6 possible from one machine in VLAN1 to another machine in vlan2.

vlan-config:

create vlan vlan1
conf vlan1 tag 101
conf vlan1 ipadd 192.168.101.254/24
ena ipforward vlan1
ena ipforward ipv6 vlan1
conf vlan1 add po 1-4 tag

create vlan vlan2
conf vlan2 tag 102
conf vlan2 ipadd 192.168.102.254/24
ena ipforward vlan1
ena ipforward ipv6 vlan1
conf vlan2 add po 1-4 tag

Server in vlan1 has ipv4 IP 192.168.101.1/24
Server in vlan2 has ipv IP 192.168.102.1/24

Ping from Server vlan1 to Server vlan2 using ipv4 is working fine in both directions, so no Problem with Gateway or down vlans.
Ping -i6 is not working at all.

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Kind Regards
Marco

9 REPLIES 9

Marco_Lorenz
New Contributor II
Solved.
Like you stated before - missing ipv6-address on both VLANs was the Problem.
Thanks a lot. I've learned a lot about v6 today...

Marco_Lorenz
New Contributor II
Hello Frank,

you are right - copy-paste-error  Sorry for that.
I don't have any other ipv6-config. Thats really everything I have configured for ipv6.
Although I'm within network configurations for over 15years now, I am a newbie to ipv6 😞
IPs are already anonymized or better say, they are not the same es in production environment.
I will give it a try with assigning ipv6-addresses to the vlans and will tell the results to the community.

To explain, why I Need this now.
The customer has upgraded his active Directory to 2012R2 and he is experiencing many DNS-Errors. Searching the reason for this error lead to ipv6. DCs are "talking" over ipv6 as Long as this protocoll is enabled.
Maybe someone else here hast AD- and DNS-Errors in an ipv6-enabled Domain and searches for these keywords .

But I don't see any IP6 address in your config snippet  That's all V4
If all you have are "fe80..." addresses, those are 'link local', and I'm not sure how well they route.
If you don't have real V6 space from anyone, you could use "fd..." networks - V6's "private" space (fd00::/8, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network and here's a generator tool: http://www.simpledns.com/private-ipv6.aspx to maximize chances of having a unique private network. Think "avoiding 192.168.1.0/24"  )

Frank
Contributor
Really stupid question(s):
Do you have "enable ipforwarding ipv6 vlan1" and "enable ipforwarding ipv6 vlan2" (i.e. forwarding on for both vlans) I'm just asking because your snippets only show it for vlan1, but that might have been a copy/paste issue.

But yes, IP6 address on vlan1, IP6 address on vlan2, use those as the respective default (or network specific) gateways on the servers, and things should work.

Would you mind posting more of the V6-specific configs - you can anonymize the beginning of your V6 addresses by starting them out with "2001:db8:..." - as well as perhaps the relevant parts from the two servers?
GTM-P2G8KFN