Policy Control Console for wireless clients?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
We have a fleet of Apple TVs in classrooms, and would like to let teachers allow individual students access to them to project from their iPads. PCC seems like the thing to use, but I had a look and it's only for switch ports.

Ideally I'd like a webpage where a teacher can select a student and apply a policy allowing them access to the Apple TV. We also have a guest network and Apple TVs in meeting rooms this would be useful for.
Photo of James A

James A, Embassador

• 6,762 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
  • curious

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tamera Rousseau-Vesta

Tamera Rousseau-Vesta, Extreme Alumna

• 2,760 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi James, this is a really great question.  I've seen a few folks do this.  There are many education folks here in the community so I'm sure you will get some suggestions, but I am going to reach out to a few folks as well.  
Photo of Francois Scheun

Francois Scheun

• 520 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi James

I issued a request for a similar implimentation, as this requirement came up at a private school here in South Africa. The issue at the moment, as you've mentioned, is that the policy is applied to a port. In wireless terms, this obviously means that an entire SSID will be impacted. As per the guys in Salem, a rearchitecture of PCC will be required to allow admin users, or tachers in this case, to apply role based policy through PCC. I've recommended a temporary workaround in that, teachers can change the group membership of a given student through the OneView GUI. It's not perfect, but fairly simple and equally effective. Please let me know should you hear or come up with any other suggestions.

Kind Regards

Francois
Photo of Francois Scheun

Francois Scheun

• 520 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi James

Enterasys has another solution that addresses this scenario head-on. I you care to provide me with you e-mail address, I can forward you the technical document.

Regards,

Francois
Photo of James A

James A, Embassador

Hi there!  If you were able to get the answer to your question, it would be great if you could update us in the community.  Thank you!!
Photo of James A

James A, Embassador

Hi again,

I've been on holiday for two weeks, hence no update. I'd seen an earlier version of the document Francois sent, and while it does include how to manage Bonjour at a policy level, it doesn't have anything about dynamically changing the policy of an individual client. So no solution yet - I might have time to look at writing something over the new year break.

Thanks for the update James.  We will keep this question open in hopes that perhaps another customer has faced this challenge.  I look forward to your update and hope you have a nice holiday!  :-)
Photo of Doug Hyde

Doug Hyde, Technical Support Manager

• 20,502 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
James,

Did you get the answers you were looking for? Also if it's something you would like to share with the community please post it in your reply. Have a great day.

Doug Hyde
Sr Support Engineer
Enterasys Networks