Power Usage exceeded and cleared logs on X430-8P Switch

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I an seeing the below logs continuously, is it a serious issue, what has to be done......

Photo of Saiprasad Rao Rapolu

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brandon Clay

Brandon Clay, Escalation Support Engineer

• 13,086 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Saiprasad,

It looks like the PoE budget on this switch is being exceeded. The X430-8p has a power budget of 60W for PoE devices. Since this is a stack, I would suggest spreading the PoE devices across multiple nodes, if possible, to balance the power requirements.

You can check the power usage and the power budget with the command 'show inline-power'

-Brandon
(Edited)
Its not a stack , its a single device...... if i use x440p replacing 430p then no logs at all regarding the power exceedence.    what if i ignore the logs, will it cause any issues..... right now power usage threshold is 70 , can i set it to 80.... is that OK.
(Edited)
Photo of Brandon Clay

Sorry, based on the logs I thought it was a stack. However, it looks like the log will show 'slot 1' for a standalone switch as well.

The reason that this does not occur on the X440 is that the X440 has a larger power budget for PoE. The X440-8p supports up to 170W, and the 24 and 48 port versions have a maximum of 380W.

Since this is a standalone X430-8p, there is an option to increase the PoE budget, up to 90W.

Note that since this switch relies on passive cooling, it may overheat if this configuration change is made and airflow around the switch is not sufficient.

The command to do this is below.
configure inline-power budget 90
-Brandon
Photo of Brandon Clay

I just realized I didn't answer your last question. You can also increase the usage threshold, which is a percentage of the inline-power budget. When this threshold is exceeded, the switch will generate the log that you are seeing.

You can change this with the command below:
configure inline-power usage-threshold <percentage>
-Brandon
Photo of Grosjean, Stephane

Grosjean, Stephane, Employee

• 12,592 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Just to add a bit, you need at least firmware 15.7 for x430 to have an increased PoE Budget on the x430-8p (up to 90W).

Edit with the right EXOS release number.
(Edited)
Photo of Brandon Clay

Thanks Stephane! I forgot to mention that.