Problems with AP650 being adopted by RFS6000

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
Hello,

For 2 years, we have APs failing to reconnect to our RFS after programmed electricity cut. They are shown as offline in Wing and phisically the Amber led is blinking every 2 sec. or so and the green led is off. I tried connecting them directly to the RFS but nothing changed. We bought 3 more APs on e-bay and we have the same issue. Tried to reset the AP using the Motorola_AP_Discovery_Tool but I see the AP connecting to the RFS and then disconnecting itself 3 or 4 seconds later. For now we have at least 5 unusable APs all with the same symptoms. Any help or advice would be appreciated as we still have to continue with this infrastructure for atl least 8 months. Thank you
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Edmundo Bermudez

Edmundo Bermudez

• 498 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It seems to be a firmware problem.
Which version now runs on the RFS600?
Do you have a Cluster configuration on the RFS600?
Photo of Andy Holden

Andy Holden, Employee

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

There are a number of reasons why an AP650 would not adopt.

1) As in the previous response, the release on the controller and AP is important. If the AP in on Ver 4.X code and the Controller is on 5.4 or better, there is a sequence that needs to be followed  to upgrade them. Please see your RELEASE NOTES.

2) How are you adopting. If the APs are in the same Broadcast domain, they will try to adopt over LAYER 2. If they are on a different subnet, you will need the set the CONTROLLER HOST variable on the AP to point back to the controller

3) If you are pushing a configuration to the AP that causes it to loose ADOPTION to the controller, the AP will revert back to its' last known good configuration

4) Do you have sufficient licenses

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Edmundo,

Thank you for your answer. Here is the version of our RFS that is running in a clustered environment:

5.4.1.0-020R
Photo of Edmundo Bermudez

Edmundo Bermudez

• 498 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Flaviu

From the RFs6000 that shows you with the following command via CLI

!###  show adoption status
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Andy,

Yes we do have sufficient licenses. The problem is that APs that worked fine, suddenly won't work anymore after the electricity cut. The APs that we have are not manageable and have no IPs on their own. They do connect to the RFS over layer2.
Strange thing is that even connected directly to the RFS I still get this amber light blinking and no adoption.
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Edmundo,

issuing the mentioned command will only show me the 22 adopted (working) APs
Photo of Andy Holden

Andy Holden, Employee

The AP650 is a "DEPENDENT" AP. It needs the controller to push out the configuration. If the AP is on the same broadcast domain, there will be no issue. If the AP is on a different subnet then the controller, the "CONTROLLER HOST" variable is needed. On a power fail/ reboot, all configuration data is lost on the AP650 and if they are on a different subnet, they will not be able to locate the Controller. If this is the case, the CONTROLLER HOST variable can be set using DHCP Option 191
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Andy,

connecting the failing APs directly to the RFS ports should allow the AP to locate the controller without any problems, right?
Photo of Andy Holden

Andy Holden, Employee

That is correct.

You mat want to consider opening a SUPPORT Case.

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

:) I would have done it if our support was still active ... unfortunately it isn't :(
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

what in your opinion would the problem be? It's strange that we have 5 APs (2 previously adopted ) and 3 newly purchased (from ebay, I agree that the guarantee is not assured) that won't work.
Photo of Phil storey

Phil storey

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
When you have the power interuption is it causing the network switches to either power or or brownout,? are the AP's being powered localy or via a POE switch ?
(Edited)
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Phil,

All our APs are powered through a POE switch.
Photo of Phil storey

Phil storey

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Does the switch go off when the power fail's or is it backed up  on a UPS ?

Have the AP's gone in to the default RFdomain where there is no policy's for them ?
(Edited)
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

The switches hosting the APs are backed up but the electricity cut may vary. For maintenance reasons, sometimes, the whole building will go off for several hours and eventually the UPS will shut down. We only back up the main server room hosting the servers and the main RFS.
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

• 1,746 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

You indicated that the ones bought off ebay are causing the issues.  Were these units properly factory defaulted before putting them on the network?

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Andrew,

They are not the only ones causing the issues. 2 other APs previously adopted by the RFS are having the same problems. I admit I don't know if they were properly factory defaulted before they were put on sale but I'm sure I did not factory defaulted them before putting on our network. Is there a way to do that now?
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Maybe your cluster isn't working correctly.  I've seen instances where the a split-brain cluster can cause similar issues.  Please post the output of the CLI commands:

show cluster members
show licenses
show adoption status

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Ok, I'll post the results tomorrow but everything seems to work fine
Photo of Andy Holden

Andy Holden, Employee

If you can log into the AP, you can delete the STARTUP-CONFIG. If you are unable to log into the AP, we do have a tool that will reset them, however you will need to open a support case to receive it
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Andy,

I imagine that I do need a valid support license to be able to open a support case. Is this tool the same one as the Motorola_AP_Discovery_Tool ? Thanks
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

It is a different version that also has a reset function, otherwise it works similarly.  You also need the AP's serial number to make it work. 
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Andrew,

Here are the commands results.
Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Andy,

Is there another way to have that tool?
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Gutan,

A couple of points...

1.  The cluster looks okay.
  2. The APs are showing lots of uptime, but the adoption time is relatively short, just over a month.  Have the RFSes been rebooted or some other loss of network connectivity occurred?  Destabilization of the shared DB can also cause unadoption/readoption.    There are some useful commands that can help pinpoint the issue, but you need to understand what you're looking at.  I'm not sure if this CLI command is available in 5.4.1, but "show mint mlcp history" will detail what conversations are taking place between the APs and the RFS during discovery and adoption. 

3. I noticed that there is a * in the command prompt, this indicates that a component on the RFS crashed at some point.  This can occur for many reasons, you can use "service show crash-info" to get details on what that was, and "service clear crash-info" to reset the flag.

4. Version 5.4.1 is really really old (2012) and has loads of bugs.   You can get covered with maintenance for less money than you think by getting Software & TAC coverage on your APs.  This gives you access to latest software for APs and the RFS, including the ability to open cases with GTAC.   I don't know what region you are in, but for reference, Software & TAC part number for an AP650 (AP0650-66030-US) is 97000-H30939 and it is $17 USD List price for 1 year coverage. 

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hi Andrew,
Yes some of the APs and the RFSes have a lot of uptime. I have to say that we don't really get the chance to reboot them very often (once a year maybe). I added the result of the command mint mlcp history and also the service show crash-info. show
It seems that the AP650 from extreme networks is not recognized by the RFS?

How can we download the error log generated on the 8th of june?

Thanks
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

It looks like you've found the problem!

The good news is that it is possible to convert older OEMed AP650s, but I think this is onfirmware 5.7.0 and above, so you'd definitely need to get maintenance to get access to these versions.

Check here for more info: http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/wing/WiNG_v5_7_Release_Notes.pdf

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Ok Andrew,

We do have a version 5.7.0.0-057R that we never took the time to install. Do you really think that upgrading to this version will solve our issues?
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Gutan,

Sorry, I just can't answer that because I don't know your environment.  You'd probably want to hire a wireless expert to manage this type of upgrade, as you may not be able to go straight to that version (or preferable the latest version) without passing through certain intermediate versions.    What I can say is that keeping up to date with the current versions is good IT practice for many reasons, both from an operational and security perspective.  In addition, it allows you to add current model APs to your system without having to resort to secondary markets like ebay and the challenges associated with that.

Photo of GUTAN Flaviu

GUTAN Flaviu

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your answer. We do try to keep all of our equipments updated but wifi infrastructure somehow slipped between our fingers. Anyway it is weird that some of our APs suddenly loose the adoption after a reboot. Does the blinking amber led every 2 or 3 senconds mean a firmware problem? We did not find this kind of behavior in any ReleaseNotes we've read.
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Flashing amber every couple of seconds indicates loss of communication with the controller (unadopted).

As far as why your are loosing adoption, a full troubleshooting session would be required to figure out why this is happening.

Photo of Richard Muehlberger

Richard Muehlberger

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
hi,

what does the "show adoption " commands tells you?

show adoption history
show adoption log adopter

nr
richi