cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

protocol based VLAN not working

protocol based VLAN not working

Wanderley_Benac
New Contributor
Configuration done to perform packet filter based on "Protocol Based VLAN", traffic was captured via mirroring and I see packets are not forwarding to correct VLAN.

Configuration for port 7:
Summit48si:18 # show port 7 vlan info
Name VID Protocol Addr Flags Proto Ports
Payload 333 10.10.20.130 /25 ------f------- mnet 11/20
OM_Node 332 10.10.20.50 /28 v-----f------- ANY 10/20
OM_RPP 192 192.168.0.2 /24 ------f------- mnet 11/20
Internal 46 ------------------ -------- p1 7/36

Mirror Results:
1) Using "enable mirror add port 7 vlan "Payload" I just see traffic to network 10.10.20.128/25. There is no traffic from network 10.10.20.128/25

2) Using "enable mirror add port 7 vlan OM_Node" I am able to see traffic from network 10.10.20.128/25, but traffic is been received by different VLAN than expected which proves mnet protocol based is not working for some reason!

Additional Information:
- It happens for swiches Summit 48si running EOS "7.8.4.1 patch1-r4" & EOS "7.8.4.1".
- "enable multinet" is configured
- "create protocol mnet" is configured

Someone can help me uinderstand what is wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Wanderley Benacchio Junior

12 REPLIES 12

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

as I understand it, IP Multinetting (enable multinet) is used as a proprietary substitute for secondary IP addresses which were not supported until ExtremeWare 7.3:
IP multinetting is used in many legacy IP networks when there is need to overlap multiple subnets onto the same physical segment. Though it can be a critical element in a transition strategy, due to the additional constraints introduced in troubleshooting and bandwidth, it is recommended that multinetting be used as a transitional tactic, and not as a long-term network design strategy.
I do not see any provision to separate the traffic into different VLANs. On the contrary, this multinetting seems to join the different VLANs together.

Please note that I have not used or tried out the multinetting feature, I just try to understand it based on the documentation.

Br,
Erik

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Wanderley,

your questions seems to be related the IP Multinetting Operation section starting on page 670 of the ExtremeWare 7.8 User Guide. There a dummy protocol mnet is created w/o protocol parameters.

In the examples there, one of the VLANs is configured to use protocol ip, all others to use mnet.

Br,
Erik

Based on the User Guide example, it seems that changing your vlan "OM_Node" protocol filter from "ANY" to "ip" should work.

There are 2 important comments:
  • All VLANs used in the multinetting application must share the same port assignment.
  • One VLAN is configured to use an IP protocol filter. This is considered the ā€œprimaryā€ VLAN interface for the multinetted group.

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
Erik is correct, 'mnet' is a protocol filter that you created, and it must be manually defined as to what traffic goes into it.

GTM-P2G8KFN