Purview PV-fc-180 console

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hello,
We are trying to hook a purview sensor PV-fc-180 to our tripp-lite serial console switch.
We have 9600, 8, none, 1 and no flow control for the settings.
We have a straight thru RJ45 cable from the console port in the purview sensor to our console switch.  We also tried 9600, 8, none, 1 and software (and hardware and all the other options for flow control).    We are able to get console output directly to the sensor from a laptop when using the provided PV serial adapter that came with the appliance.  Is there a way we can get a console from the sensor to the serial console switch to work?

Thanks,
Sarah
Photo of Sarah Seidl

Sarah Seidl

• 1,296 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Pala, Zdenek

Pala, Zdenek, Employee

• 8,442 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
the converter from Serial to RJ45 is unique for Enterasys equipment and for PV-FC-180. Standard purple or Cisco cable will not work. find the original converter and you will be fine.
Photo of Grosjean, Stephane

Grosjean, Stephane, Employee

• 12,552 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
And you 'll need to set 57600 8N1 for console access, as well.
Photo of MOTOHISA KONNO

MOTOHISA KONNO

• 72 Points
Sarah-san
I know. I've been there too.

Please refer to the following
(PV-FC-180 Application Sensor Hardware Installation Guide P.32)

Photo of Sarah Seidl

Sarah Seidl

Thank you all for the replies, my partner is trying to make a cable but we are confused as to each end of the RJ45 the pinouts for each side. I forwarded him the adapter diagram from the posts and all the info that has come back. To be clear, we do not want to use the DB9 serial adapter that came with the device. (or any other adapter).  We would like to get this working RJ45 to RJ45 cable.  He's trying to confirm the pinouts on both sides of the RJ45 to get this to work with our RJ45 serial console switch.  Would this be possible in this scenario and if so, what would the pinouts be on each side?

Thanks again!
Sarah

Photo of Erik Auerswald

Erik Auerswald, Embassador

• 12,782 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sarah,

generally speaking you can do this. We had specific cables made to connect N-Series (and later S-Series) switches to Opengear console servers.

You want to create a Null-Modem cable (basically crossed rx/tx lines). The resulting cable is in general not symmetrical, only one end works as the sensor side, the other as the console switch side.

Pinout information for the Extreme device can be found in the following GTAC Knowledge / The HUB articles:
As written above, the PV-FC-180 console port uses a different speed than the S-Series switch.

You have to look for the pinout of the console switch ports as well.

Best regards,
Erik
Photo of Sarah Seidl

Sarah Seidl

Thanks everyone.  My partner kept trying and got this to work.   Hip hip hooray!!!

Scenario illustrated: purview side is the sensor side and tripp-lite side is the serial console switch we have . Both are RJ45 ends

Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 37,350 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing your solution!
Photo of Sarah Seidl

Sarah Seidl

For the serial console settings on the tripp-lite we have 9600,8,n,1 and no flow control