cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about EAPS in XOS

Question about EAPS in XOS

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Is there a way to delay or put a hold timer in place when downed links are repaired and come back up? We need to be able to control port flaps as fiber is repaired on very large EAPS rings... 1200 or so vlans all ten gig interfaces. EAPS works great when we get a cut but if fiber splicers have issues and cause brief duration multiple port flaps this affects many customers using a routed service and their routers have issues getting the agency back stable... What should be a 50 to 100 ms hit turns into a 4 or 5 minute outage... On RPS or 8032 rings there is a holdback timer that can be set but I cant seem to find anywhere you can do this on an EAPS ring...

6 REPLIES 6

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
I agree with Henrique suggestion, CFM with EAPS + longer timers might work.

However, I agree, it would be a good feature for EAPS to have a non-revertive mode and a wait-to-restore timer like ERPS.

Let me get a feature request opened up for this, and I'll come back with the feature request number.

-Brandon

To my (little) knowledge this feature has been on the table but never implemented. A FR is the best approach here.

As much as I like EAPS and its simplicity, sometimes ERPS is the better solution, especially in a service provider environment.

I would expect it to be fairly painless to convert from EAPS to ERPS. You could bring up the ERPS ring with its own control vlan and no protected vlans, then move protected VLANs over individually once you are satisfied that ERPS is working correctly.

Thanks guys as always. You quickly confirmed what I though was true... Now the question is whether to convert my EAPS rings where i have known users that have routers being affected by this to ERPS rings.
GTM-P2G8KFN