cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for configuration of Management port when Summit x440-24P is only switch in the network

Recommendation for configuration of Management port when Summit x440-24P is only switch in the network

Gregory_Krueger
New Contributor
I'm looking to see if anyone can give me a recommended configuration for the management port for a small network. I'm an automation engineer, so "part-time IT" and know enough basics about VLAN, routing etc. to get by with some suggestions. But I don't do enough of this stuff to really know a lot of good practices. We have a small network, just a single x440-24p switch, and I was wondering what good practice would be for configuring the management port. I'm planning to have 3 VLAN's on the switch, one will be for admins/engineers, and I'd like to be able to physically connect to that VLAN and also have access to the management interface as well (web based is what I plan to use mostly...after initial setup will mainly be using management port for monitoring/troubleshooting).

Should I just do interVLAN routing from my admin VLAN to the built-in default management VLAN. Or can I just connect via the switch IP in my admin VLAN and no need to route through the management port?

Any advice appreciated...

19 REPLIES 19

Tim_Black
New Contributor II
I am doing something similar as the OP, except that my exos switches are to be connected using the mgmt port, since I desire to "save a port" on the default VLAN for connected devices, and I will be running network automation scripts that will dynamically configure the ports/vlans, and I want a guaranteed way in in case the config gets botched.

I am unable to ping the mgmt ip address from a direct connection to a windows pc on the same network. I posted my question here in case anyone wants to help out (sorry for cross-posting, but I think I posted originally in the wrong forum at first and I'm not getting much visibility):

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/trouble-connecting-to-management-port-with-eith...

Tim_Black
New Contributor II
My problem turned out to be caused by a wrong physical ethernet connection. Please disregard.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
There is a difference between the mangagement port and the ability to manage the switch.

If you like to manage the switch via remote just just add another VLAN with a IP and that's it.

The managment port is for out-of-band management.
But if you like you'd take a patch cable and connect the mgmt port to a "normal" port on the switch and you'd use the mgmt IP to access ith in-band.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-band_management

I have tried to this, but the management port uses the same MAC address as every other SVI on EXOS, thus this does not work (see my first comment above). 😞

The setup works with an X430, because the X430 is a layer 2 switch only, thus the only SVI available on the switch is the management port.
GTM-P2G8KFN