cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove switches one by one in Enterasys B5 Secure Stack

Remove switches one by one in Enterasys B5 Secure Stack

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
I have a stack of 8 Enterasys B5 Switches in a "ring" stack. I am moving to X460G2s and have moved 3 of the bottom B5 switches to the 460 stack. So Switches 6-8 can be removed. Can I just "clear switch member 6-8" and then remove them from the stack? I know switch 5 is the management so i'll have to movemanagement... Anyway, I haven't taken a stack down like this before.. I am just migrating to the new stack slowly and need to decommission this stack, switch by switch.
7 REPLIES 7

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Clear switch member 8 after removing it from the stack... The stack stayed up for a while and then eventually something happened and it crashed. I've already broken down the stack and cleared the config on all of the switches..

Daniel_Coughlin
Extreme Employee
I am sorry to hear that. Would it be possible open a ticket with the show support, current.log file and any sys.dmp file that may have been created?

Also what steps did you use to decommission the unit?

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
Well, I started by disconnecting one switch from the stack (of 8 switches). After that, the switch stack stayed up for 2 hours, then crashed. When it came back up, only 2 of the stack members were there and the config was all but gone. It's okay, I just moved everything over to the new x460 stack sooner than I would have liked... So I didn't get to do all of the testing I wanted to do.

Jason_Parker
Contributor
To start, I would TFTP the configuration to a tftp server in case you need things like
port alias, Vlan's, policies etc.as mentioned above in step 2 above
The next step is up to you but personally i would run the command,
clear switch member 5
then disconnect the stacking cables(no need to power down
Connect a console to the switch
Login in(basically admin and enter (The switch - unknown to me, may have been a standalone unit and have been configured at one time, so the switch may have saved a few configurations from the past, so i would type dir, then look for any configurations such as

682011.cfg 131173
199-199.July-2016.cfg 16645

The command to use to delete the config 682011.cfg
delete configs/682011.cfg

Then repeat the command for the remaining configuration files.

Please note that if you connect the switch for some reason, the stack may reconfigure the unit
Jason

GTM-P2G8KFN