cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing faulty summit x250e with new Summit x440 into existing summit x250e stack (same firmware)

replacing faulty summit x250e with new Summit x440 into existing summit x250e stack (same firmware)

Soe_Minn_Htet
New Contributor II
Dear All,

My existing network is running with all summit x250e with stacking. I understand that Summit x250e is already end of life and not able to purchase. So I am looking at replacement model which is Summit x440. I would like to know that how can I replace new Summit x440 into existing Summit x250e stack if one of the summit x250e switch is failed without rebooting the whole stack?
The existing config for faulty Summit x250e will synchronize automatically to the new replacement Summit x440 switch? Or I need to reconfigure the port assignment for new Summit x440 switch?

Appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks.
Minn Htet
7 REPLIES 7

De_Wet_Hoffman
New Contributor
We are in a similar situation and also looking at replacing the X250's with X440's. Could you re-use the Gbic's and stacking cables from the X250's with the X440's?

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Yes, that should be just fine.

Zelnosky__Kevin
Extreme Employee
You may need to also do a "enable stacking node-address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" before the reboot to get it to come up as an active member of the stack.

Also be aware that when mixing Summit switch models in a SummitStack, all nodes will only be able to operate at the capacity of the weakest member. This means that if you have a more robust switch and stack it with a less capable switch, the more robust switch will use the same table sizes as the weaker member, etc.

Soe_Minn_Htet
New Contributor II
Dear All,

Thank you for all your feedback and it's really helpful to me. So in this case, I don't need to reboot the entire x250e stack switches right?

- I just need to backup the current configuration

- Remove the faulty x250e switch

- unconfigure the slot that was used by faulty x250e

- Add new x440 and synchronize from master switch as follow

1) synchronize stacking node-address "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" (new x440 mac address)

2) configure stacking node-address "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" slot-number xx

3) reboot node-address "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"

- Reconfigure the recently added x440 switch as per new slot number

Anything that I miss out ? 🙂

Regards,

Minn Htet

GTM-P2G8KFN