cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Replacing slot #1 XOS

Replacing slot #1 XOS

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
Hello, I am trying to understand the proper method for replacing slot #1 (<-- specifically) in an XOS stack. Example: (2) 460-48p switches, Master & Backup running 16.2.2.4 p1-3. Slot #1 needs to be replaced. Prep replacement with proper code and partitions enable stacking protocol enhanced. Remove existing switch 1, switch 2 becomes master. Install new switch 1, enable stacking node-address (new node's info), configure stacking node-address (new node's info) slot-number 1, synchronize stacking node-address (new node's info). Reboot node-address (new node's info). New node comes back up (see vlan synch, fdb, acl synching). Stack looks okay for now. Issue command configure stacking mac address and reboot the stack. At this point new slot 1 becomes master and gets stuck at enter passphrase. And the switch reboots. The only way we have found to resolve this is to then config none on all switches in the stack, and load script of the original config. This is time consuming and not the preferred method I can guess.This has happened at several locations that we've had to replace slot #1 in particular. So it's not just one example. What would be the best method for success for replacing slot #1 in XOS?
Thanks,
Sarah

12 REPLIES 12

Doug
Extreme Employee
Sarah,

If you are still having issues I would suggest to contact the GTAC for further assistance.
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-contact-Extreme-Networks-Global-Tec...

Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
Hello, I have to say we are almost at wits end. With this new code I feel it's virtually impossible to get things to go properly the first time. Here's the most recent example:

Scenario: Stack of 3 devices
X460-48p - slot 1 Master
X460-48p - Slot 2 Backup
X460-48p - Slot 3 Standby

16.2.3.5 p1-6 primary (current stack booted into primary)
16.2.2.4 p1-3 secondary

Slots 1 and 3 have poe failure. Steps taken
1. Remove slot 3
2. install replacement slot 3
3. join to stack; enable stacking node-address (new slot 3), configure stacking node-address (new slot 3), synchronize stacking (new slot 3).
4. Reboot node-address (new slot 3) so it can join the stack.
5. It successfully joins the stack, issue command synchronize slot 3 - it synchronizes, reboots and again joins the stack.
6. Repeat steps 1 thru 5 but now for slot 1.
7. Now everything is replaced the stack is backup after the slots 1 and 3 had synchronized (before the stack reboot as OscarK recommended).
8. Configure stacking mac address and reboot
9. Stack comes back up, now slot 1 is again master, but slots 2 and 3 crash and reboot.
The only way to get the stack stable again is to unconfigure switch all (you have to catch the stack between rebooting of slots 2/3 it seems). Then you have to load script.

Why oh why? What can I do differently? Do I not need to do step 8, does synchronize slot take care of the stack mac?

Thanks in advance

Sarah_Seidl
New Contributor III
Thanks again!

OscarK
Extreme Employee
After you have replaced all the slots needed, before you do reboot the complete stack, sync all new slots. sync slot , that will sync OS versions and all files on the new slot to be the same as the current master.
sync stacking slot will sync all stacking parameters to the new slot.

GTM-P2G8KFN