Replacing older boards in 8810 with C series

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Hi, I've got an 8810 chassis that is being upgraded from MSM-G8X --> MSM-48C and G48T--> G48Tc blades.  As well as G24X--> G24Xc.  I found a nice guide explaining the upgrade process for the MSM-48C in the release notes, but I'm not sure about the other G48T/G24X blades.  I'm trying to make sure I don't lose the config on the slot and just upgrade the boards like for like.  I'm assuming there's more too it than just swapping the blades out.  I know i'll need to configure the slot type, but want to make sure that doesn't wipe the config on the existing ports.
Photo of David Gibb

David Gibb

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sumit Tokle

Sumit Tokle, Alum

• 5,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You will not loose configuration while replacing the I/O blade.
Photo of David Gibb

David Gibb

Thanks for the quick reply.  That's what I was hoping to hear!
Photo of Stephane Grosjean

Stephane Grosjean

• 762 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi,

I'm not so sure.
In my experience you will lose the config if you change the blade type (you'll have a mismatch error and the blade won't boot up until you do a clear slot, which will erase the config). One way to avoid that situation is to download your config and manually change the blade reference for each slot in that config file. Then you can change the blades, reload the modified config, and reboot.

Rgds,
Stephane
Photo of David Gibb

David Gibb

You are correct.  I ended up saving the config as a script file.  Editing the blade model numbers and setting it to the default.xsf script file.  Blew away the config before installing the new blades and when it came up with the new blades the configuration took successfully.