Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

rf domain - controller managed and control vlan

rf domain - controller managed and control vlan

Daniel_Starosci
New Contributor III
Hello,

We have a rf-domain with 78 AP's. Right now that rf domain is controller managed. We would like to give it a vlan for control traffic where in our case it would be 1 since the AP's interface is vlan 1.

I heard that the max amount of AP's you can have in a rf domain and have a control vlan is 64. Is it possible to have both controller managed and a control vlan at the same time ? We tried that before and got reports that clients could not connect ( rf guns).

Just trying to find out what went wrong here.

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

Daniel_Starosci
New Contributor III
Yes, it is very strange. Clients could not connect at all. We made the change this weekend and were on site. The clients could not connect when the control vlan was 1 and when we changed it back to controller managed, they connected fine.

Yes, we will be trying this again and I will be looking at the event history. Thank you Chris.

Okay...if the clients are losing their ability to associate to the APs after making this simple change, then there's some sort of problem here that I don't understand. (bug?)
I'd recommend reaching out to GTAC in this case to discuss the issue.

If you want to try this again though, as I mentioned earlier, look at the Event History section on the controller to see what the APs are doing while the clients are attempting to connect. If the associations are actually being rejected, the logs shown there should shed light on WHY the rejections are occurring.

Clients could not join a wireless network at all. My phone could not join the guest wireless network (could see the SSID just would not join) and the scan guns could not join their wireless network (connects automatically when the SSID is present).

Being in the same location and changing it back to controller managed, everything connected like it should.
GTM-P2G8KFN