cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

RFS6000 shows that APs are offline, but I can ping them, and they are working fine.

RFS6000 shows that APs are offline, but I can ping them, and they are working fine.

Jason
New Contributor
I have an RFS600 controller with approximately 55 APs adopted to it. The software version is WiNG v5.9. The APs are a mixture of AP6522, AP6521, AP6532, and AP7632. The controller currently shows that 9 APs are down, but I can ping all 9 APs, and I have verified that all of them are functioning properly. I have been having this problem for a while and sometimes the "offline" APs will change to showing online, and then they will eventually go back to showing offline. This status change is usually after a power cycle, but a power cycle does not always have this effect. These APs are at different locations, and I was told by support to make sure that they were in their own RF Domains. I did this and saw no change. If anyone has seen this before, or has any ideas on how I might be able to fix this issue, any assistance would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

RobertZ
Extreme Employee
Can you share the output of CLI (using putty.exe) command 'show adoption status'?

Ron_Galien
Extreme Employee
Here is a great KCS knowledge base article that covers CLI Command for Layer 3 adoption of WING access points for review:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/CLI-command-for-layer-3-adoption-of-acce...

ckelly
Extreme Employee
I think it must also be understood that just because the controller indicates that an AP is offline, that it can still be PING'able. The loss of adoption just means that there's break in the communication link between an AP and the controller.
A more relevant test be to see if you can PING the AP from the controller....or the other way around. Or even better, can you MiNT PING in each direction?

Of those 9 APs that show offline, you say that they are in different RFDomains...not all 9 are in the same RFDomain, right?
If that's the case, what is common in the communication path between those 9 APs and the controller? Check those first. If the MiNT PING test fails, you'll need to locate at what point the MiNT traffic is being blocked/dropped.

Jason
New Contributor
Thank you for the trouble shooting tips. I had tried already to ping from the controller, but not back from the APs. Once I tried this, it was pretty easy to tell that it was an issue with what we had set for the default gateway. I still don't understand why it did not affect all of the APs that were set this way, but either way, it fixed those up. Thanks again.
GTM-P2G8KFN