Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round-Robin Trunking

Round-Robin Trunking

Mrxlazuardin
New Contributor III
Hi,

Is there anyway to configure round-robin algorithm on trunking (ports grouping)? I can do that easily on Linux, but I don't have idea on EXOS. With that algorithm, the load of each member of ports group will be balanced, no matter of the source and destination.

Basically it will works if the each member doing Tx in round-robin manner and all members doing Rx.

Best regards,
7 REPLIES 7

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Mrxlazuardin I would hope that your network doesn't have a lot of out of sequence packets. Yes they do happen but it is better to send a whole flow over the same link to min any disruption. In a situation where you have one hop maybe there is less concern but across a network that is fro Edge to aggregation to core having a lot of that traffic could be a big issue.

Because our products can go from Enterprise to SP, from k-12 to high end DC or internet exchanges we need to have confidence that the network will work in all environments.

Thanks
P

dflouret
Extreme Employee
No. EXOS supports only port-based or address-based algorithms:

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Mrxlazuardin

We do not support round robin on LAG ports as it can lead to packet out of sequence errors.

Hope that helps

P

Mrxlazuardin,

TCP does indeed have the capability to deal with out of order packets. But to reorder them requires storing misordered packets in buffers which requires memory and increases latency.

In a slow link, a few misordered packets don't hurt. In a LAG of high speed links the number can be high and so will be the amount of buffer memory and the processing time needed to reorder them.

GTM-P2G8KFN