cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route VLAN traffic between two locations with GRE tunneling (With EXOS)

Route VLAN traffic between two locations with GRE tunneling (With EXOS)

Ashwini_Balacha
New Contributor
We have x460 extreme switches in two different locations connected with L3 networking. I would like some suggestions on extending the vlan from one location to the other over l3. When I read about this, I realized that one of my option is L2-GRE and EXOS does not support it. Can I do this configuration using L3-GRE tunneling?
Please provide me some guidance on this.
21 REPLIES 21

Ashwini_Balacha
New Contributor
Yes we have the Vlan and GRE tunnels in the same VR and it seems to me that I wont be able to configure this on user created VR

Narayanan__Kart
Extreme Employee
Hi Ashwini,

As per the provided topology, you try to reach from 100.0.0.0 to 200.0.0.0. if that's the case do we have those VLANs and the GRE tunnel are in the same VR?

For better understanding please provide us the configuration of the those two x460 switches.

Regards,
Karthikeyan

Narayanan__Kart
Extreme Employee
Hi Ashwini,

Thank you for the reply. If possible can you please provide us the configuration of the switch?
Tunnel can be created on L3 . so In the existing setup, Do you have layer 3 routing on a default VR and the tunnel on other VR?

Can you please clarify on this?

Regards,
Karthikeyan

Tripathy__Priya
Extreme Employee
Actually GRE tunnels are IP tunnels which require L3 Function. L3 features are supported with EDGE license and above. All of the supported platforms' default license is EDGE or above, which include L3 features. In a stack all of the nodes must be GRE capable if we are using any stack switches. For GRE in a stack, all stack nodes must be GRE hardware capable. Hence first please check the license type for the concerned switch. Use command: show license to check this.

GTM-P2G8KFN