Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing configuration to forward multicast traffic to a tunnel interface

Routing configuration to forward multicast traffic to a tunnel interface

Luca_Spinacci
New Contributor
Hi all,

I have a L3 network topology where the core network segment doesn't support IP Multicast protocols.

As such, I have configured a couple of X460 switches/routers in order to provide an end-to-end GRE tunnel able to encapsulate Multicast traffic without the need for IGMP/PIM (no control on the core network routers).

I expected to force Multicast traffic to be routed through the GRE tunnel interface by configuring a route in a similar way I'm used to do with Linux, e.g.:

add route -net 239.0.0.0 netmask 224.0.0.0 dev my_tunnel_gre

Unfortunately, I haven't found a command in the manual to configure such a route on ExtremeOS.

Does anyone have any idea how to achieve such a behavior?

I appreciate any answers able to solve the above issue.

Thank you.

RB,

Luca.

5 REPLIES 5

Kevin_Kim
Extreme Employee
I don't think the current EXOS implementation supports mulitcast forwarding over GRE tunnel.

Limitation
• IPv4 only (both the routed traffic, and tunnel protocol)
• Unicast forwarding only, no Multicast
• Single IP address can be configured on a GRE tunnel
• Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) not supported
• No routing protocol support (RIP, OSPF, etc. etc.), only static routes
• Software based forwarding

Luca_Spinacci
New Contributor
Hi,

I tried the above configuration.

If I correctly understood the behavior of the Multicast route, supposing of having the subnet 70.0.0.0/24 configured to belong to an OSPF Area 0.0.0.0, I would be able of forwarding OSPF Hello messages addressing the IP Multicast address "224.0.0.5" on the other side of the tunnel.

Strangely, this doesn't seem to happen as the OSPF router at either side of the tunnel does not see any neighbor.

How come?

Where are my assumptions wrong?

Thank you.

Luca.

Luca_Spinacci
New Contributor
Hi,

you're right, Class D addresses are not allowed by EXOS.

The Multicast route you suggested seems to satisfy my request.

Is there a way to apply it to separate Multicast streams (e.g. 239.0.0.0, 224.0.0.0) in order to allow, for instance, data traffic instead of routing control plane information through the GRE tunnel?

Thank you very much for your precious help.

Luca.

GTM-P2G8KFN