Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

RU Session Manager Logs - backup tunnel

RU Session Manager Logs - backup tunnel

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Community

I would like Netsight to notify us once an AP fails over to the backup tunnel.
I would like to create an "Alarm" in Netsight that would trigger once the correct syslog/trap is seen from the wireless controller.

What event would the RU Session Manager present when an AP failsover to the second controller?

If I look at the wireless controller I see the following logs:

Wireless AP session poll disconnect Wireless AP session timed out. (AP SN 12375569235M0000 AP NAME wap-XXXXX AP IP 10.X.Y.255 timeout 60 secs (active tunnel))

But if I then look at the " AP Availability Report" I still see the AP connected to the primary controller, so I would not be able to match on the above info.

Regards
3 REPLIES 3

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
You'd do an easy test - on the local controller just release the AP.
That will make the backup tunnel on the foreign controller active,

Here the message/trap that I've rx on my EMC...

foreign:
RU Session Manager : Wireless AP activated backup tunnel. (AP SN 15210411085A0000 AP IP 172.25.25.202)

local:
RU Session Manager : Wireless AP registration and authentication succeeded. (AP SN 15210411085A0000 AP IP 172.25.25.202 (backup tunnel), Certificate provided:None)

As Joshua mentioned there is no indicator in the message that show whether the controller is the foreign/local from the AP point of view it's just a change from active to backup tunnel and vice verca.

Joshua_Puusep
New Contributor III

6914cca58be64ce09f55670618fad78d_RackMultipart20170418-88474-1dzksyt-AP_Failover_inline.png

I just failed over one of my AP's and these are the wireless events that showed up. I personally have two event alarms configured. one for the session poll timeouts as you mentioned, and one for the backup tunnel activation.

The "Wireless AP activated backup tunnel" will alert you when the AP Fails over, but it doesn't differentiate between the controllers. If all your AP's are typically on the same controller, this might be enough.

We have our AP's split up between our controllers. It would be cool if you could alert on Foreign AP's becoming active, but i don't see any such events.
GTM-P2G8KFN