cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of an old C2H or C2G for adhoc wireless network offsite

Setup of an old C2H or C2G for adhoc wireless network offsite

Phillip_Hood
New Contributor
We have a project to implement an adhoc wireless network for 3 days in 2-3 meeting rooms that has absolutely no networking equipment in them. Our ISP will be providing fiber to these facilities but it is up to me and my team to configure a switch to convert the fiber to copper. I am fairly new to networking and to Enterasys/Extreme Switches so I need some guidance.
Could I use an old C2H or C2G to convert the fiber to copper and then use some Cisco wireless APs for the endpoints to connect to?
If so, what would be the best setup for the switch and what kind of settings/configuration would it need to have?
3 REPLIES 3

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
I am assuming you are not using a WLAN controller and when you talk about using APs, you're talking about using FAT APs (not requiring a controller). If that is the case, the ISP will probably hand you off an LC SM connection. You will need the correct optical transceiver to do this. I am betting the ISP can provide a generic transceiver to do this... It should work in the C2G just fine. I assuming NAT and routing will be happening upstreaming and you are just dealing with a L2 connection at this point.

Okay. Assuming they are just giving you a handoff, you can probably just dump everything into VLAN 1. You really shouldn't need to do anything, as long as there is no tagging and they are just giving you a handoff that will provide DHCP etc...

Yes, you are correct with your comment. I will not be doing any routing and I decided not to use our Enterasys APs just for ease of access. We purchased some cheap Cisco APs (LAPAC1200) for the access. I have some transceivers that should work just fine but they should have something that will work if mine doesn't. Also, our ISP is another state agency so we will be on the same network as their external wireless network.
GTM-P2G8KFN