Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

SFP Ports not active

SFP Ports not active

David_Gardner
New Contributor
Hi,
I am trying to connect to Summit X450e48p via the shared sfp ports. EXOS Ver 12.5.3.9
Server has an Intel X520-2 Nic installed and I am using a 3m 10G SPF+ Passive direct Attach Copper TwinAx cable. I get no link light. Am I missing something obvious? I am new to Summit Switches and EXOS, so I am not sure where to even check to see if the ports are enabled. Is it a compatibility issue?
Please advise.
Thanks.

David
4 REPLIES 4

David_Gardner
New Contributor
The cable works fine between two switches. The X520-2 NIC, however, according to Intel, only supports 10 GB when using a direct attach cable. If the ports are only gb, then that would be my issue. Thanks for the feedback.

David_Rahn
New Contributor
450 shared ports on the front are 1 gig only Unless you mean the 450 G2 but I believe the model number you're sharing those are 1 gig ports and this setup will not work

Nick_Yakimenko
New Contributor II
It could be an OS and driver issue. Which OS do you run on a server and which driver version you have? Also you may try to get a link if you connect the cable between two ports of a NIC just to verify if the cable is capable to your NIC

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
Many servers require active cables. Try optics and fiber if available.
Some servers also require vendor specific cables.

Do you get a link if you connect the cable between 2 450s? If you strip all VLANs you should be able to loop it back to the same switch for testing, without causing an issue.
GTM-P2G8KFN