cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet Connectivity on my Network

Slow Internet Connectivity on my Network

eberrick
New Contributor
I have very poor internet connectivity at the workplace, We have about 500 Users on the network,. Users complain of their inability to access common webpages such as : Yahoo, Gmail and the rest. But strangely Youtube is able to open faster and even play video seamlessly. I have observed and confirmed their problem. Making me doubt if its a bandwidth issue from the ISP I have an Enterasys XSR-3150 router that sits between the ISP and my network. I connected my laptop directly to the ISP ODF Core using static IPs and it resolves webpages very fast. Some advice as to diagnosing the problem will be very much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

eberrick
New Contributor
Hi,

The problem has been solved, it turned out that the router was running an outdated firmware and also the DNS was not configured properly.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi eberrick, were you able to solve your connectivity problems with any of the advice in this thread?

Andrew_Imam
Extreme Employee
To add to the responses already provided, you can also attempt to point an internal client/host to a Public DNS server (such as one of Google's Public DNS servers --> e.g. IP address = 8.8.8.8) and see if the response time improves. If you no longer observe slow responses when pointing to a public DNS server, this would indicate a possible issue with the originally configured DNS server(s).

Tony_Thornton
Extreme Employee
Hi eberrick,

If you have not done so already, if you know some IP addresses of external destinations you can try bypassing the DNS servers by entering those IP addresses in the URL field. If the response is normal, then this would point to a possible DNS related issue as Steve and Jerome mentioned previously.
GTM-P2G8KFN