cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Slow wireless speeds (5Ghz, N, 26MB??)

Slow wireless speeds (5Ghz, N, 26MB??)

Tom_Taylor1
New Contributor
I've been having intermittent issues that naturally aren't here when ever I log a case with GTAC so was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar.

Our clients here often complain about slow wireless speeds and I'm really having a hard time tracking it down, today though I did notice that one of the clients had "full bars", connected at 5Ghz but the TX rate was only 26Mb?

The network itself isn't anything fancy.

Topology is Bridged locally at AP (Running a tagged VLAN)
CoS is turned off
WPA-PSK v2
No Authentication
WMM turned on for QoS

Anyone seen this before?

Here is another client literally right next to this one

9 REPLIES 9

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
The picture show that the client is connected to the 2.4GHz band but the initial problem was reported on the 5GHz band.

Please also provide AP model and software version and could you please be more precise what the issue is.... how slow is slow wireless, how to you meassure it, what is the destination, how fast does the same test work via LAN.

I've just had a call with someone at Extreme, we've planned out a channel map and done several tweaks. It seems to be performing infinitely better at the moment. Thanks for the replies

Tom_Taylor1
New Contributor
Still seem to be having issues with this. I've had a look through the sticky client fixes and implemented it which I can now confirm clients are roaming correctly.

I'm starting to think it's the "noise". Constantly sitting above 85 db. Is there any smart way to select what channels we're using?

to

Joshua_Puusep
New Contributor III
Hi Tom,

According to your snapshots, the two clients are on different radio's. The first client has a RSSI of -83, which in my environment would not even be usable. My initial guess would be that this is just a roaming issue. e.g. the client's device is not connecting to the closest AP. If you do a quick search for "roaming" on the hub, you will see quite a few posts in regards to roaming issues and how to work with them.

Some clients allow you to adjust how aggressively they roam, which is one option if the device is managed by you. Other options include increasing the min. rate which will also reduce the cell size, or using certain features like probe suppression.

Roaming issues are a continuous battle for a lot of environments because the decision to roam is primarily up to the device. Probe suppression could assist in micro managing roaming, however i highly recommend you consult GTAC prior implementing it because it has known bugs in various firmware versions.

If you are able to educate the users, the easiest quick fix is to have the user disable their wireless and re-enable it. Upon re-enabling it, the adapter should re-scan for signal and choose the most optimal AP for their current location. Obviously this is not ideal for mobile users, but it's better than signal in the -80's ļ™‚

GTM-P2G8KFN