cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP clients connected to a switch

SNMP clients connected to a switch

Liam_O_Donnell
New Contributor
Task; To identify what is connected to each port of a Summit 48si switch (using snmp)
The devices are configured with snmpv3.

Im using snmpwalk on a linux box to query the switch.

Is it possible through snmp to query the port of the switch, and determine the machine connected to it?.

If so, what OID should I be using?

Thanks
Liam

9 REPLIES 9

Liam_O_Donnell
New Contributor
I Tried your suggesteion Ronald, but 'No data available in this subtree' was returned.

The test switch is a Summit 48si. I have Dell PCs attached as podia in lecture theatres back to this switch.
It would be very useful to be able to dynamically identify the switch and port a specific PC is connected to.

Thanks
Liam

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Liam,
This article will tell you how to find the latest MIB files for EXOS and ExtremeWare:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/Location-of-Extreme-Network-MIBs-Management-I...

If I use the "Table View" feature in the iReasoning MIB Browser, the extremeFdbMacExosFdbTable contains most of the information available about a particular port's connection.
That begins at OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.1916.1.16.4 (which you've mentioned above). This is for EXOS, I'm not sure about ExtremeWare (for the 48si).

I found an entry which is not in the mib that I have. (Dated January 2015)
I have ..16.3 and 16.5 but not ...16.4
Where can I get the latest mib which hopefully will have this info.?

Thanks
Liam

We used to have a simple tool for identifying the device attached to a port, or to search all the switches for a specific device (usually by mac address).

Problem 1.
-------------
I made some headyway talking to the 48si's, using
1.3.6.1.4.1916.1.16.1.1.3/4/5
1.3.6.1.4.1916.1.16.1.1.3.22009.17280 -> (mac address)
1.3.6.1.4.1916.1.16.1.1.4.22009.17280 -> (looks like the port number)
The 22009 is ifVlan definition, which can be different between the switches.

however, when I scan all the switches, I get more than one switch responding.

The last number is always the same between the switches, I have been unable to determine from snmp which switch the PC is actually connected to. Any ideas?

Problem 2.
-------------
One third of our switches are Extreme X440-48t switches. I have been unable to locate similar data from these switches ... Do you knmow what oid(s) I should be looking at.

Thanks
Liam

PS: I am using a MibBrowser from ManageEngine.

GTM-P2G8KFN