SNMP Contact Lost: No SNMP reply from device caused by SNMP Error: General Error[5]

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
New switch.  SNMP settings match other working devices EXACTLY, yet I'm getting this general error in the console alarms in netsight and I can't seem to find much documentation on it.  Any experience with this?
Photo of Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Murphy, Daniel

Murphy, Daniel, Employee

• 632 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Only when the profile assigned to the device is not supported on that device.
Are you able to open the Interface Summary FlexView or MIB Tools on this device?  If so is any data returned?  Might be worth opening the assigned profile to verify the values set are what you intend.

Christopher Davis

MIB tools returns no such device name. The interface summary flexview, likewise, returns nothing.  The device is an SSA, I have the exact same profile assigned to many other SSA's with the same config working fine.
Photo of Murphy, Daniel

Murphy, Daniel, Employee

• 632 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I suggest you use the command line on the device to verify the SNMP is setup exactly the same way.  Look for a slight spelling or case issue.

Christopher Davis

read All write All notify All

instead of read all write all notify all....

I had no clue that was case sensitive.  My life up to this point has been a lie....

Thank you.
Photo of Ryan Mathews

Ryan Mathews, Alum

• 8,988 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Funny!  Thanks for joining the Hub Christopher.  It's great to have you with us.

It takes a Community to run a modern network.  Give a little and get a lot in return.  That's what the Hub is all about.  We all learn something every day!