cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOFTWARE FAILURE HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE SYSTEM

SOFTWARE FAILURE HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE SYSTEM

surender_lakra
New Contributor
Getting SOFTWARE FAILURE HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE SYSTEM error while login into the Alpine Switch
7 REPLIES 7

surender_lakra
New Contributor
Thanks Robert for sharing information..

EtherMan-Dupe
New Contributor
We have had lots of hands on with Extreme since the beginning in 1998 ... all product lines... Here is what I would do if I had this one still in service. If it is a 3808 with stand alone MSM then you can run diagnostics extended on individual slots and your impact may not be as great as a complete reboot. If it is not and one of the smaller Alpines the msm is built into chassis and if it fails diagnostics then you will be dead with no way to get it back.

I would make sure you have a current configuration in hand via downloading it to the tftp server or doing a show config and capturing the complete configuration in your telnet session.

A reboot could fix this or it could also cause the switch to not come back depending on problem.

Odds are you have a failing switch and it needs to be replaced but I would not do anything till you get it's replacement ready and standing by.

The show tech Drew mentioned will show a lot more than the configuration but it does display the configuration... It all depends on how responsive this unit is now. I would guess you may have some services being impacted and just not know it yet.

Good luck...

surender_lakra
New Contributor
Thanks Drew for information..

Is there any possibility to check what wrong with switch software or hardware without reboot. Because in case will reboot the switch then unable to find RCA for the problem.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
If a process has failed, you'll have to reboot the switch to recover it. Is there any impact to your users?
Before rebooting, you may want to collect a
code:
show tech
from the switch so that you'll have the information to analyze.
GTM-P2G8KFN