cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Some questions about Enterasys Wifi (v2110)

Some questions about Enterasys Wifi (v2110)

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody!

Could you please help me with this:

"L2 Ports" in Controller--Network - what can I do with L2 ports in this menu? Could I configure them as Etherchannel link?

"Location-based Services" in Controller--Services - what are these Services? Ability to send data to External location system like Ekahau? Ability to upload maps to Netsight?

"Mobility Manager Settings" in Controller---Services - I have no idea what means that. Could it be used for roaming clients in a paired configuration?

"Sites" in VNS - I have been wondering for years - when should I configure Sites?

Please, comment!

Many thanks in advance, Ilya

3 REPLIES 3

Craig_Guilmette
Extreme Employee
Hello
Let me see if I can answer these questions for you.

"L2 Ports" in Controller--Network - what can I do with L2 ports in this menu? Could I configure them as Etherchannel link?
L2 ports on all controller models other than the virtual controller can be configured in a static lag configuration to double bandwidth. Other than that they are simply ports that can be members of vlans to egress wireless users into a vlan in a bridge at controller design.

"Location-based Services" in Controller--Services - what are these Services? Ability to send data to External location system like Ekahau? Ability to upload maps to Netsight?

Yes this functionality allows RFI tags to connect to the AP and their data can be forwarded to the various Location based databases.

"Mobility Manager Settings" in Controller---Services - I have no idea what means that. Could it be used for roaming clients in a paired configuration?

Mobility is only really needed for 3 or more controllers in a single domain. A H/A pair does not require it as the H/A handles everything fine. If we add a 3rd controller to the design and a user could roam to an AP services by any of the 3 is where Mobility shines.

"Sites" in VNS - I have been wondering for years - when should I configure Sites?

Sites is not what you and everybody else thinks. Its main purpose was for a remote site to be able to stay working as far as authentication is concerned when the connection to the remote controller goes down the AP's can continue to run and they can switch their 802.1x or other authentication to a local authentication server at the local site when the wlan link fails. We have seen many people config it as just individual sites (like its name) but it has a 32 AP limit at each site and really wasn't designed for that feature.

Hope that helps
Craig G

Hello, Craig, many thanks to you for the such detailed answer.

Vellachery__Sum
Extreme Employee
Ilya,

The Mobility Manager is a single system identified by the administrator that will manage the state of the mobility domain. Once identified, the Manager will accept Mobility Control session connection attempts from Mobility Agents. The Manager is responsible for the management, aggregation and distribution of client session information to all Agents.

I hope the following Article should help you:-

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-is-the-purpose-of-mobility-manager

GTM-P2G8KFN