cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Source Based Routing

Source Based Routing

Jason_Weems
New Contributor II
I have multiple routes to a particular network, I would like to route a particular local network over a certain link, while the rest of the local networks to that remote network over the normal routes. Is there a source based routing solution I can use with my x460s running XOS 15.2.1.5 ?
12 REPLIES 12

Nick_Shoemaker
New Contributor
I know this is an old post, when doing this, do you have to specify a protocol or can you use multiple protocols?

Jarek
New Contributor II
Hi,

the question is what are you trying to achieve ?

1) redirect to direct connected IP address

host IP1 < -- > switch L3 < --- > host IP2 => redirect to IP2 will work

2) redirect to IP address that is behind a next switch/router

host IP1 < -- > switch L3 < --- > router <---> host IP2 => redirect to IP2 will not work

The concept guide says:

"When a switch finds a matching ACL rule, it forwards the packet to the redirect IP address as specified
in the rule without modifying the packet (except as noted above).
The traffic flow is redirected only after applying the ACL to the port and only when the redirect IP
addressā€™s adjacency is resolved. When the ARP or NDP table does not have the information to reach
the redirect IP address, the packet is routed based on the Layer 3 routing table. When the switch does
not know how to reach the redirect IP address in the rule, the rule is installed with a warning, and traffic
is not redirected until the address is resolved in the ARP or NDP table. After the address is resolved, the
traffic is redirected."

--
Jarek

Chew_Choon_Chon
New Contributor
Thanks Sean, exactly same configuration we did on our box (X770 Summit) but failed to work. ACL got hit as counter incremented but the redirect action does not seem to do what supposed to do. Suspect its some bug then.

Sean_Brady
New Contributor II
Jason - I have successfully implemented PBR to achieve that goal. Here is the policy file I used -

entry REDIRECT {
if match all {
source-address 10.50.15.0/24;
destination-address 0.0.0.0/0;
protocol tcp;
}
then {
redirect 10.254.254.2;
}
}

Note that this particular policy only captures TCP traffic, you will have to edit it to your specific needs.

Good luck!

GTM-P2G8KFN