Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Spanguard not working

Spanguard not working

eminsesen
New Contributor
Hi,
We are using Extreme and Enterasys product in my foundation.
Even though I configured spanguard on Enterasys B5 and B3, Spanguard didn't work.
I configured span guard on my switch as follows:

set spantree adminedge ge.1.1-23 true
set spantree spanguardtrapenable enable
set spantree spanguard enable

I'm waiting for your help.
Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
eminsesen,

firmware, hardware vintage, port types and specific test cases aside - spanguard works on the Securestack.

Can you use the B3 as a test case for the B5 in spanguard mode? We're missing a puzzle piece somewhere...

regards,
Mike

Jason_Parker
Contributor
https://youtu.be/euUa_5Rv-Uc Jason

Jason_Parker
Contributor
Please take a look at a video on you tube that goes through the steps including displaying the traps and disabling the port Search wordS Enterasys Networks spanguard Jason Parker

Unmanaged devices like that for 100 bucks don't do spanning tree. Therefore you can't detect one of those devices using Spanguard.

-- EDIT --

Let me clarify:

From what we see your TPLink does not run STP. If it would, then the B5 would block the port. Now if your TPLink supports forwarding of multicasts, which it probably does, and since BPDUs are nothing but L2 multicasts, Spanguard will only kick in once you actually create a loop, that is, connect a second port from the B5 to the TPLink. The B5 will see its own BPDUs and block one of the two ports.

As long as there is no loop, Spanguard will not trigger since the TPLink does not actively participate in STP, so the port connected to the B5 can be considered as a shared-media port.

You should also be very careful with loops on the unmanaged switches themselves or in case you are planning to add more than one of these unmanaged switches to your network and interconnect them.
GTM-P2G8KFN