cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Spanning tree port state

Spanning tree port state

Bruno2
New Contributor
Recently we upgraded our monitoring system to CA Spectrum. Ever since, I get this alarms with the title: "SPANNING TREE HAS CHANGED STATE FROM LEARNING TO FORWARDING"
in our infrastructure we have 2 SW Core (S8 Chassis) and a bunch of access layer switches (B5) connected in a star topology.

All access switches connects back to the core by a pair of 10gb fiber. In addition to that, some upstream switches connects in to the access switches. These upstream switches are all A2 and we used them, in this fashion cause we did not have enough equipment.

Configuration wise, we have all switches spanguarded, adminedge in all edge ports, mack lock in all access ports, Core 1 is the absolute root, Core 2 is the backup, and all the other switches have their priorities set to default.

All the Access switches sees Core 1 as the root port, core 2 as the blocking port and all upstream switches sees Core 1 ass root of the bridge.

Now, what worries me is that NTESIGHT never brought any alarms such as, DEVICE DOWN, NETWORK TOPOLOGY CHANGE even thou it is configures to produce such alarms.

I would like to know if there is anything else that I can do to reinforce my configurations and have a better control over this situation.

2 REPLIES 2

Jason_Parker
Contributor
I just wanted to thanks Marcus for jumping in and and also to confirm a few details

The command "set spantree stpmode ieee802.1" is the default setting
The command "set spantree version mstp" is the default setting

The next command is used to create Multiple Spanning tree Instances
-Default: None would be configured

The command "set spantree msti sid
SID = Spanning Tree Instance

The next command would be used to set an assignment of a FID to a Spanning Tree Instance
The Command "set Spantree mstmap sid
SID = Spanning Tree Instance

Jason

Marcus_Florido
New Contributor
Bruno,

I see that this post is about 4 months old, but maybe you still need help with the spanning tree. I believe that the Enterasys switches run MST by default. It is probably a good idea to configure the switches to be in the same spanning tree region, create an MSTI, and map all your FIDs (VLANS) to it. Although you do not have to tag the VLANs to every switch, they must all be created on all switches within a spanning tree region in order for the configuration digest to match--a requirement if instance traffic is to be shared.

set spantree stpmode ieee802.1 <==only required on S-series or DFE
set spantree version mstp
set spantree mstcfgid cfgname {your region name here}
set spantree msti sid {sid # you want to create} create
set spantree mstmap {list of VLANS} {sid #}

Alternatively, you can configure all of them to run RSTP.

Marcus
GTM-P2G8KFN