Stacking/Connecting x440-24 and x440-48

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

Hi,

I'm new to the Extreme range of devices and would like to ask for some advice on connecting 2 switches, 1 x440-48p and 1 x440-24p.

What are my options on the above?

Can I use the RJ45 ports as an uplink or must I use the copper/fibre ports on the right hand side of the switch?

In either solution do I need to configure the ports in any way?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Photo of Jason Short

Jason Short

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Paul Russo

Paul Russo, Alum

• 9,694 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jason. stacking on XOS uses 10G ports only. The switches you have have 2 copper CX4 ports that are used for stacking. Use stacking cables and connect the two switches and use the command config stacking easy setup. Note that this will unconfigure the switches to go I to stacking mode.

Thanks
P
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Short

Jason Short

Hi Paul,

Thank you for a very quick reply.

The switch that I have has 4 ports I believe. I have the obvious 24 x RJ45 ports (ports 21-24 show as being Shared Ports) and to the right of them I have what appears to be four copper ports (also numbered 21-24).

Are these the copper ports you refer to?

Regards,

Jason

Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 44,984 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think the 2 stacking ports are on the back of the switch.
On the last page of the datasheet you'd find the order# of the stacking cable.
http://learn.extremenetworks.com/rs/extreme/images/Summit-X440x-DS.pdf
Photo of Jason Short

Jason Short

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have mentioned that I aware of the 2 stacking ports on the rear of the devices but I believe that if I use these then I will have to re-configure both switches (1 of them is currently in use).

So I was hoping to use either the RJ45 ports or the SFP ports at the front of the device.

Do you know if this is possible?

I don't have any issue reconfiguring the switches but it would be handy if I could use the front ports as a temporary solution whilst I familiarise myself with the CLI commands and general config of the devices.

Regards,

Jason

Photo of Paul Russo

Paul Russo, Alum

• 9,694 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jason

You have to use either the stacking ports or 10G ports. The 440 comes with either one of the options. You can't stack with the 1G ports.

Anytime you go from unstuck to stack or vice versa you will unconfigure the switch. The old config is saved on the switch under the old-unstack.cfg or old-stack.

If you never enabled stacking on the first switch the going with stacking now will need to be redone. The reason is that port 1 is now either port 1:1 or 2:1.

Hope that helps.

P
Photo of Jason Short

Jason Short

Hi Paul,

Ah-ha! Things are becoming clearer. I now see the 'problem' with my plan to use any of the 1GB front ports. I know it is possible with other makes of switch.

So, I obviously need a stacking cable, details were kindly supplied by Ronald in the previous response.

I have the XOS User Guide which covers "Converting a Standalone Node Deployment to a Stack"

Are there any other documents that would help me on this task?

Regards,

Jason

Photo of PARTHIBAN CHINNAYA

PARTHIBAN CHINNAYA, Alum

• 4,362 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Jason
Stacking information is available in concepts guide.
Note:software version must be same on switches.
Photo of Bruce Garlock

Bruce Garlock

• 612 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am getting ready to do this same job.  Since the switch you are stacking with will loose it's config, what strategy do people use to keep downtime to an absolute minimum?  When I have worked with HP and Cisco, I usually build my configs in notepad so I can copy/paste, put "no" in front of commands I need to take out, then copy/paste my final config in.  

Since I will be doing this remotely, I'll obviously need OOB Mgmt of both switches as well.  I'm going to have someone setup a laptop with WiFi, and have them get me right into the console ports.

The application where these two switches are located is an IDF, without that much traffic.  Most of it is web based traffic, with the occasional PDF download.  I doubt a 1Gb link would ever come close to being saturated, so I'm thinking I may just trunk port-1 on both switches, so there won't be any downtime.

I'd love to hear any ideas anyone has!    
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 37,156 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Bruce, for what it's worth, there's a Python based stacking config converter on our GitHub page.
https://github.com/extremenetworks/ExtremeScripting/tree/master/EXOS/Python/non_stacking_config_conv...

It can run both on and off the switch to make it easier to review the changes made.
Photo of Bruce Garlock

Bruce Garlock

• 612 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nice!  Thank you, Drew!