cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking with X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and a X440-48t-10G best pratices.

Stacking with X460-G2-48t-10GE4 and a X440-48t-10G best pratices.

TS_MTL
New Contributor
I am building out a 250 person floor.

I've settled on using 1U 48 port switches.

My thoughts on design were this...

Top of stack: X460-G2-48t-10GE4
Center of stack: X440-48t-10G
Bottom of stack: X460-G2-48t-10GE4

There will be 7 switches used in this stack. I know 8 is max.

I know I can stack these together, I am just confused on best practices.

Ideally I would like to use the 4x10G on each of the X460-G2-48t-10GE4 as my fiber runs to my server room.

Which then bring sup the question how do I link the X460 to the X440... I'm assuming via a stacking module.... But which one? Which cables?

And ultimately does my train of thought above "work".

This is a heavy network office. (Visual FX/Animation studio).
10 REPLIES 10

Santhosh_Durai
Extreme Employee
Hi

when you use X460G2-10G variant, you no need to buy any additional VIM module to make stack with X440-10G variant.

Use last 2x10G ports in X460G2s to build a stack.

Based on the distance between Master,Backup and Standby node, select the cable. You can use normal 10G fiber cable with SFP+ to make the stacking port UP

TS_MTL
New Contributor
So the one peice of information I am confused on now is.... Which module do I need?

For stacking wise, would getting a 2x 10GBE in the back be ok to stack to the X440 from the X460?

IE: Summit X460-G2 VIM-2x

Jeremy_Gibbs
Contributor
What are you trying to achieve? Let us know that first, then we can help with a optimal design.

Are you going for speeds and feeds? Going for redundancy? Or you just want to manage one chassis? Do you have an figures / metrics about your current setup, such as average throughput etc...

I am growing out a 250 person floor, all machines nfs mount homes/programs.

I am looking for speed/redundancy. My link to my datacenter (offsite) is a 40GBE connection (where storage resides).

So I would like decent bandwidth but not the sole need. (We currently don't come near saturation on our 40GBE link (even with 250 people using it).

Managing one chassis is a nice. But we don't want 1 module chassis (we already have a HP one) and keeping it clean (cabling wise) is ugly (for us).
GTM-P2G8KFN