Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Strange behavior of two paired C25

Strange behavior of two paired C25

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hello, everybody!
I have a very strange problem with Extreme Wireless deployment.

There are two C25 paired controllers (9.21) and 65APs (3705 and 3710), spread equally between two buildings: A and B. (Please, take a look at the attached scheme).

There is one open SSID everywhere on all APs and no any authentication or portals. All the clients get their IPs through DHCP server, configured on X670 core switch at Build A. Address space is /22 network.

When I use wifi inside a certain building (A or šŸ˜Ž its ok - I can move between the floors, watch youtube, browse websites and there are no any interruptions.

Strange things happen when I walk from one building to another. For example, I start to watch a long (~ 1hr) youtube clip in Building B on my laptop at 4th floor. I see that browser starts to cache the content of the clip. Then, I get to floor 2 of Building B and go to Building A through a long glass corridor and there no wifi networks at all. At this short moment I can see that caching process is stopped. So, in about two minutes I get to Building A. I sit down and keep watching the youtube clip. In about a minute browser continue to cache the clip. I check accessibility of other web-sites (including not being visited before) and they are OK. I sure, that at this moment I have connected to APs of Building A. BUT THEN HAPPENS THIS:

About in 5-10 minutes after getting to Building A clip caching stops and all the sites become inaccessible. Windows says: Ā«Limited connectionĀ». I try to reconnect to my SSID and get the same result. Turning off/on wifi adapter doesnā€™t help. I try to restart the notebook ā€“ no results. I repeat the operation from B to A with my Nokia Lumia 930 ā€“ same things. A guy with Lenovo / Debian repeated it after me. Iā€™ve waited more the 30 minutes and the wifi networks it still inaccessible. I found out, that I didnā€™t get an IP address and the only way to connect to wifi is to CHANGE MAC-address!!! Simultaneously, for all new clients dhcp and wifi work fine at Building A.

So, my question is: how to made roaming work as it should? Could I use wifi walking from one building to another without interruptions with my deployment?

Gentlemen, please, help! I could provide all the information required/youā€™ll request.

Many thanks in advance,

Ilya

480cef4482c54ba2ac223d350430cdc8_RackMultipart20160408-70358-f9smq1-C25_operation_scheme_inline.jpg

20 REPLIES 20

Doug
Extreme Employee
Great news.

Reference: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Clients-do-not-pass-traffic-when-roaming...
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
Hi, Doug!

The reason for the issue was the great time difference between the controllers, you were right. After I've corrected it everything worked fine.

Many thanks for your advice, Doug!

Ilya_Semenov
Contributor
So, I'll try to check this solution tomorrow and report my results.

Thanks.

Doug
Extreme Employee
Yes
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN