cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly can't ping anything in Virtualbox?

Suddenly can't ping anything in Virtualbox?

Petteri_Oksanen
New Contributor
At first, everything was going as expected as I built my test-network in Virtualbox. Suddenly pings does not go through. I can't even ping virtualbox gateway which is directly connected to the switch (it says "destination unreachable"). Both switches are in "link11" in virtualbox and there is no overlapping links (aka loops). I have tried:

- administrative access to all files and folders including virtualbox
- disabled firewall
- reboot (obviously)
- reinstalled different revision of virtualbox (4.3.26 -> 4.0.28) including extension packs
- starting with fresh configs

..but nothing. I have not yet tried to uninstall everything and start all over from 100% clean table. It will be my next step.

Here is a screenshot of configs and ping-issue. Ports are enabled and running. I even enabled loopback for both of the switches.

fe703d2dc92748ba8bb68553d702137e_RackMultipart20150324-14105-olme5n-Capture_inline.jpg

Even when I type "show edp ports all" it can even see the other switch connected. I can also telnet to both in mgmt vlan (not included in these configs). This just blows my mind, I am totally lost of what's happening.
9 REPLIES 9

Petteri_Oksanen
New Contributor
Hi Daniel

Yes, I actually bumped into your suggestion in some other topic about that and had made sure that I only use PCnet-FAST III adapter for switches. Hosts are windows 7 and they of course use some Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, which doesn't matter.

Cheers!

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Petteri,

Just to make sure you don't suffer a known issue with VirtualBox, ALWAYS use PCnet-FAST III as Adapter Type.

Do not select any of the Intel adapters, as these strip the VLAN tags from traffic because they want to handle these themselves. This means that if you add a port as tagged to 3 vlans all you will see is untagged packets and nothing will work.

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Great to hear Petteri. Glad we got it working. Thanks for posting to The Hub and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help

P

Petteri_Oksanen
New Contributor
Ok I forgot that "add" before vlan. Now I got it up and running!
Ping works from another end to another!

A HUUUGE thanks to you Paul! Now my 4 days of stress is over and I can get back to work! 🙂

- Petteri
GTM-P2G8KFN