cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for x450a configuration for connect Kemp loadmaster in HA

Suggestion for x450a configuration for connect Kemp loadmaster in HA

Antonio_Opromol
Contributor II
HI, my customer has got a couple of switches x450a and I need to add a couple of Kemp's LoadMaster in HA configuration in this environment. In the Kemp documentation there are raccomandations for the switches where the appliances are attached to, in manner that the UCARP protocol that they use for the HA functions, works well. These are: Confirm that multicast is allowed on the network. Confirm that IGMP snooping is disabled. Ensure that promiscuous mode and PortFast is enabled At least three free IP addresses are needed to set up a HA pair. Verify if VMAC will work in your environment Has someone experiences with a configuration of extreme switches with Kemp? For IGMP snooping I can disable it on the VLAN where the Kemp appliances are connected. Regarding the portfast the equivalent command in ExtremeXOS in KnowledgeBase say to be: configure stpd ports linktype edge edge-safeguard enable bpdurestrict But regarding promiscuous mode and VMAC which are the best settings? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Antonio_Opromol
Contributor II
Thanks Erik for the instructions.

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi Antonio,

if you use STP on the Extreme switch, you should configure the the ports as edge ports.

Edge ports are equivalent to Cisco's portfast, edge-safeguard is equivalent to Cisco's BPDUguard.

You need to manually enable STP on EXOS if you want to use it, while Extreme EOS and e.g. Cisco IOS enable STP by default.

Erik

Antonio_Opromol
Contributor II
Hi Erik, so do you think that if STP is configured on the VLAN where my applaince is connected is not necessary to configure the edge-safeguard? I know that on cisco is necessary to configure the ports where the applaince is connected with the portfast and on extreme the edge-safeguard is the equivalent command...

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

you do need to configure edge ports if you do not use STP on the EXOS switches.

Promiscuous mode and VMAC are probably irrelevant to physical switches, that would be of concern when using virtual appliances connected to vSwitches, I think.

I have used UCARP as HA solution for two GNU/Linux servers a couple of years ago, I just needed to provide a layer two connection between the two servers. UCARP works similarly to VRRP or HSRP, thus if you expect VRRP to work fine, UCARP should work as well.

I do not know the Kemp LoadMaster appliances, though.

Erik
GTM-P2G8KFN