Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Jens_Podbiera
New Contributor
Hey Guys,

we have two X670G2-48x-4q and want to build a Fail Over System.
The first choice, what is better, MLAG or Stacking?

For Stacking i have some questions:
License type Advanced edge correct?
Can we use two of the 40G qsfp cables for the stack?

The EXOS_User_Guide_16_1.pdf describes more than one cli commands, show stack and more but in my cli it names stacking-support. Is the guide wrong or not updated?

regards

Jens

4 REPLIES 4

Jens_Podbiera
New Contributor
Hi Patrick,

in the cli documents you will find the "Stacking license restriction" but i dont found the right information, which licsene i need to use stacking. Did you mean, i only can stack, when i have the right moduls in the X670G2? I thought this is also about the 40G front panel qsfp availible?
If this is possible only through the matrix connector on the backside?

regards

Jens

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Jens, you're correct about using the front panel 40G QSFP+ ports for stacking on the X670-G2. There is no module available for the back of this switch model.
Here's some additional information, which you may already know, about stacking on the X670-G2.
Regarding licensing, the X670-G2 comes with an Advanced Edge license, which can be upgraded to core. There is no minimum license required for stacking, though all master-capable nodes will need to have the same base and feature licenses.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Jens,

As far as managing goes stacking is better because you are essentially dealing with one switch. MLAG will allow for an easier upgrade path without bringing down the network.

I dont understand the licenseing question. Can you please elaborate?

stacking support is meant for switches that have modules that can either be configured for up-links or stacking.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Jens,
Here's an awesome thread where this topic, specifically, is discussed: https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/mlag-vs-stack-what-am-i-missing
GTM-P2G8KFN