cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Switch serial number - manufacture date

Switch serial number - manufacture date

Mark_Robinson
New Contributor

I'm looking to retrieve the manufacture date on Extreme / Enterasys switches. Found this article https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000089269 It states the first two digits are year and the 3rd/4th digits is week of manufacture along with an alpha (manufacturer) and five more digits after that.

My serial numbers have 7 digits after the first 4 digits then an alpha like A, B, E, H, J, F. Am I to assume those 7 digits after the first 4 are unique designations? Is there a document which explains the alpha at the end? Example. My serial number is 12345678901A. Looking for more details on these serial numbers.

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Mark,
The first 4 are the year and week code. (YYWW) So in your example: 12345678901A, it would have been manufactured 2012 week 34. The last 2 digits are the revision of the board, from a manufacturing perspective. The other stuff in the SN doesn't really matter all that much. Just something for us to tell the different units apart.

Chris. Appreciate the details. This helps us document the aging equipment. Cheers!

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Mark,

The article you are reading explains the S/N for the EXOS based devices. The S/N example you have provided looks like a EOS based device. At the moment I do not know the EOS S/N scheme.

Good catch. These S/N are EOS switch devices. Will keep looking for a document. Thanks.
GTM-P2G8KFN