Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Tacacs Login Problem

Tacacs Login Problem

Michel_Braga_Gu
New Contributor
Hello Folks...

I put myself on a big trouble, and I hope you guys can help to get me out of it.

Here in a company I'm working for, we have a Enterasys S8 Chassis with two fabric switches and two blades with normal switches.

We were trying to configure tacacs on it, we have done a lot of tests and we've got no success.

This is the config I used the first time we've tried:

set tacacs server 1 49
set tacacs command accounting enable
set tacacs command authorization enable
set tacacs enable

This one isn't work. So I removed.

Obs:
I had established a ssh connection to put this configuration, and keep this same ssh window connection to apply or remove this configuration any time I wanted, without any kind problem, and with another ssh windows we tried to connect with our tacacs users.
So, once I still have this ssh connection established, I was able to put another configuration to try get it working, then I put this one:

set tacacs server 1 49
set tacacs command accounting enable
set tacacs command authorization enable
set tacacs enable

Exact the same, but at the end of it, I added:

set authentication login tacacs

And nothing, it haven't worked as well. So we decided to stop the tests for a while and try to make it work another day. Then we removed all the configuration above, but we forgot to remove the authentication line (set authentication login tacacs).

I read that this configuration turns the tacacs as my primary login method.

We've closed all of ssh connection windows, and since that moment I've logged out from my switch, I wasn't able to login on it anymore, neither with my tacacs user nor with my local user.

I don't know what to do.

Is there some way to login in this switch on a recovery mode, or boot it skipping my current configuration, so this way I would be able to change the configuration on my switch??

Please, someone, help me.

Sorry for the weak English and the Big Text.
15 REPLIES 15

Michel_Braga_Gu
New Contributor
Hey folks...

Sorry for not supply any reply for these last months, I have been very busy, but today I told to myself I had to give some explanation about what happened.

Here is what our team did:

We removed the main blade, and we have used the seventh jumper of this board to reset the running-config, after that I was able to recover my backup that was inside this slot.

But, thanks God, we had a backup file saved over there, and we did this procedure with this knowledge, otherwise we would have to reconfig the switch from the scratch all over again.

Thanks for all help I had here. You guys are doing a absolutely fenomenal job.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Thanks for coming back to update the thread, Michel. I've marked it as "Solved."

Mike_D
Extreme Employee

Checking in Michael,
Are we out of the woods yet?

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Marking this as "Not a problem" since we don't know if it has been solved yet. We can update status later if something changes.
GTM-P2G8KFN