Upgrade Matrix N 5.35.16 to new release 7.63.05.0002

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I have enterasys Matrix N3,   right now  it ́s running  the release version 5.35.16, I need to update to 7.63.05.0002, Can I update the router  directly, without   update to a   other middle releaser like 6? 
Photo of Luis Coghi

Luis Coghi

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike D

Mike D, Alum

• 3,852 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello Luis,

6.1 firmware 'window' upgrade is required.

Always recommended before upgrade of any kind:  begin by saving a backup of your config file in case config translation fails.

You will want to carefully review the 6.1.x release notes and the 7.63.x release notes as there are several other caveats.

Regards,
Mike
Photo of Luis Coghi

Luis Coghi

Thanks Mike I will do !
Photo of Mike D

Mike D, Alum

• 3,852 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Luis,

Based on lab experience - you can indeed upgrade from 5.x to 7.x provided hardware requirements are met - as long as you are prepared to re-configure from scratch. 

The step-up method allows for a degree of config translation.

Mike
Photo of Straw, Glyn

Straw, Glyn, Employee

• 2,152 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
As Mike says you will need to go via version 6. As well as the release notes the following document details all the important points to consider when transitioning from 6.x to 7.x :

https://extranet.extremenetworks.com/downloads/Pages/dms.ashx?download=ca673e07-1e70-4997-9d18-66e71...

most important being :

- N‐Series modules must each have a minimum of 256MB of memory installed.Use the show system utilization storage command to determine the memory installed in each slot of your release 6.x system.

- N-Series firmware releases 7.11.x and greater utilize a new internal "binary" format for storing configurations. Versions 7.11.01.0025 or newer firmware will clear an internal configuration that was written in the older format. To avoid loss of configuration during an upgrade you must take specific steps to create and restore an ASCII configuration file. They are detailed in the document.

Best Regards
Glyn
Photo of Luis Coghi

Luis Coghi

Thanks guys, I have other question,  the N3  and N5  right now are  in End of Support? 
Photo of George, Chris

George, Chris, Employee

• 992 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official End of Support is June 30, 2016.  
Photo of George, Chris

George, Chris, Employee

• 992 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Information regarding our End of Sales and End of Support products can be found here:
http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/end-of-sale-and-end-of-support-products
Photo of Luis Coghi

Luis Coghi

Thanks  George!