url filtering license VX9000

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago

Hi.

I have a scenario with a vx9000 and several APs.

Is it necessary to have a "web filtering license" to block access to web pages created in a static way with a list of URLs entered manually into the controller?

Thanks

Photo of Jose Luis Vazquez

Jose Luis Vazquez

• 1,034 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Sam

Sam, Employee

• 1,858 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jose, 

I think what you are looking for can be found in the following article: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-is-the-WING-URL-Based-Filtering-or-Web-F....  

'If no license is installed, the Web filtering feature can still be used, but restricted to the custom defined URL lists.' - Ref web filtering overview document from article.  

Hope this helps.

- Sam
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

• 1,022 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jose,

The 'WEBF' product is no longer available. However it is not required if you wish to create a manually-inputted, static URL list as indicated by my colleague Sam, above.

Thanks,
Darrel.

Jose Luis Vazquez

Prefect. Thanks.
I followed the sharepoint link in the article that Sam indicated and the blocking of the list of urls worked correctly.
And then which product replaces the WEBF?
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

OpenDNS integration would be our recommended course of action for dynamic filtering on a large scale. 

Jose Luis Vazquez

I have been reviewing the operation of opendns and I see that I have to configure an api token generated from the cisco umbrella panel in the controller. I have looked at the instructions of a cisco controller. for a vx9000 this would be the correct way to configure it? I have been reviewing but I do not find this option in the vx
Photo of Darrel Rhodes

Darrel Rhodes, Employee

Hi Jose, I have a draft OpenDNS integration guide for VX9000 that I've been given but not personally tested.  Happy for you to download it from my DropBox here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8ni99v3ysk66w0/WiNG%20OpenDNS%20Configuration%20-%20Draft.pdf?dl=0 .

Jose Luis Vazquez

Hello Darrel.
Thank you very much for the guide. I will prove it and I will report the result.
I must pay you a coffee :)

Jose Luis Vazquez

Hi Darrel.
It works perfectly. The problem is that is a bit expensive....  :)
Regards and thanks again.