Using port 51 and 52 as stack port in X440-G2-48p-10GE4

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
I must be missing something. In the x440 I remember stacking using just plain copper cables. Can I not do that using port 51 and 52 with the X440-G2-48p-10GE4 ?
Photo of Hunter Blackwolf

Hunter Blackwolf

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • sad

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Patrick Voss

Patrick Voss, Alum

• 11,594 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Hunter,

Stacking requires a 10g connection. If you would like to do alternate stacking then you need to use the ports specified in the "show stacking-support" output.
Photo of Larry Kunz

Larry Kunz, Employee

• 1,510 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi, Hunter.  Here are a couple of sections in the Hardware Installation Guide that you might find helpful:
For the X440-G2 48-port models, the stacking ports are 49 and 50. 10GBASE-CR SFP+ cables are available in various lengths.

Larry Kunz
Information Development
Extreme Networks
Photo of Steven Lin

Steven Lin, Employee

• 2,322 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Hunter,
Below is Extreme stacking tool, hope it's useful for you as well.
https://stackingtool.extremenetworks.com/StackingTool/
Photo of Bin

Bin, Employee

• 5,370 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Hunter,

This reference could help you.

ExtremeSwitching X440-G2 Stacking
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit/summit_family_hw_install/Stacking/c_stacking-conside...
Photo of Joe Ang

Joe Ang

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I read all these, but I'm still a little perplexed. I was under the impression we could use a cat6 patch cable on ports 50/51 to stack the switches.  I also called the sales rep and he informed me I did not need to order additional cabling to stack two switches and I can simply use the cat6 ethernet cable, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been spending hours on trying to enable alt or native stacking via the patch cables.  

I went to show stacking and have native and alt ports 49/50, but it'll only accept spf+.  As per the cable management link, is the most cost effective cable part number 10304? Will the cable need to be extreme branded? Thank you for your assistance. 

edit: what is the intended use of port 51/52?
(Edited)
Photo of Patrick Voss

Patrick Voss, Alum

• 11,594 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The alternate stacking ports depend on the switch. You can check this with the "show stacking-support" output. The connections need to be 10g so this typically means you need to use a fiber uplink. The SFP's have to be extreme certified in order to be supported by extreme.